Comment on all Drummers at Singapore Drumfest

US-Studio

Hi everyone.

This is a new thread in connection to Singapore Drumfest. Have spoken to soft.com.sg and the reason that its a different thread becos this will focus more on the artistes that performed.

Pls post your comments here on all the international and local drummers that performed at Singapore Drumfest 2007.

Who or what was your favourite act? and why?
How has it impacted/impressed you and what did you learn from it?

Do share as extensive as possible so that even those that could not make it or did not come for the festival can share a bit of your experience and the great reports on the artists.

Let them know what they missed! Ha ha.

But on a serious note, at the end of the day... the posts that you put up will be educating and helping to build up the local drummers' community. That is also why Singapore Drumfest have tried her best to get drummers/percussionists from different musical genres to perform at this year's festival.

Many Thanks.

Artist Roster

Day 1 - 9 June 2007 - 1pm to 845pm

Drum Challenge (21 & under)
Danny Morledge - USA (winner)
vs
Jonathan Jake Ong - Singapore

Gregg Bissonette - USA - All round - Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Ringo Starr, Toto
Steve Thornton & Band - USA - Malaysia - Latin - Tania Maria, Miles Davis, Mariah Carey, Sheila Majid
Mohamed Noor - Singapore - Latin - David Tao, Wang Li Hom, Tribal Tide
Fairoz Samil - Singapore - All round - Jive Talking
Derek Roddy - USA - Speed Metal, Clinician - Traumedy Temple, Ex-Hate Eternal
Grant Collins - Australia - Progressive, Extreme Independence - Collins Wardingham project
Jojo Mayer & Nerve - Switzerland, UK, USA, Japan - Drums N Bass, Jungle, Nu Skool, Breakbeats, Prohibited Beatz
Surprise* Derek Roddy & Grant Collins Jam

Day 2 - 10 June 2007 - 1pm to 8pm

Drum Challenge (Open)
Gilbert Rolan Nogales - Phillipines (winner)
vs
Gary Tan - Singapore

Nate Morton - USA - All round, Show - Fox's ROCKSTAR Series, Dootybug
Jimmy Lee & Band - Singapore - Pop, Rock, Acid Jazz - Stephanie Sun, A Mei
Special* Tony Royster Jr & Jojo Mayer & Janek Gwizdala (bass)
Gorden Campbell - USA - R&B, Gospel, Hip Hop - Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, Earth Wind & Fire, Mary J Blige, Neyo
Tony Royster Jr & Band - USA - Rock Jazz Progressive - Lazyeye, Tony Royster Jr Band
Surprise* Tony Royster Jr & Jimmy Lee & Gorden Campbell Jam

I can only say - I love Gregg B - he is really so Musical in his drumming & besides he can play so many Genere of Music ...my favourite drummer there...and love the Mapex Drum.

Collin - Handsome awesome looking drummer - no wonder all girls there so crazy for him - very good independence too.

Jojo is damn fast player - no need for me to say so much about him.

PS; - But I see Jono as a very very fast drummer - I like his Solo - and I observe his Left leg - tapping & like dancing when he was playing.....Oh and yes the KIT - how can I forget I like both the DW & the Sonor (truth)...must be very expensive kit.

Dont know what to say - at least I said something - correct - ok that not too bad har?....I want DRUMFEST 2008 next year again.....please.eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:

My favourite was definitely Gorden Campbell. He was absolutely groovy! The man is a human metronome. His hang-time was amazing. Even the way he speaks had this groovy R&B swagger :lol:

Gregg Bissonette was the most educational. He shared quite a few useful tips.

I enjoyed Derek Roddy and Nate Morton's set a lot. More for their phrasing and how they apply their playing for their kind of music.

Tony Royster Jr was very entertaining as well. But what really amazed me about him was how willing he was to share tips and his thoughts on drumming at the roadshows. Very down to earth and approachable guy! :D

Yeah i agree with mel80. My favourite out of all drummers was gorden campbell.. coz rnb and gospel music influence me alot... and that B-Boy swagger, umph, how i wish i i could play like him..

Jojo was superb - as always but he didn't brought much to the stage and the songs he played are easily available at 2005 modern drummer fest and some youtube videos. so it was a great to watch it "live"..

umm, gregg bissionette was really great at everything.. especially the song dum. he combined some wicked clave patterns on top of that song.. woo..

and tony royster jr.. he plays really well and damn his good...

i wanna learn how grant collins play.. he's wicked..

also steve thorton and mohd noor jam.. simply superb.:D

eh eric, truth is truth lah.. where got sonor(truth)?? truth drum company is a custom drum company that makes drum.. heh..

I like every drummers involved in the drumfest. All have different thing to share.

But the 1st day was a little bit too long la. I'm aware all of us were overwhelmed by the experience but I can see some dreamy faces during the 1st day. 2nd Day programme hour was quite ok.

I must say the 1st day drummers all play quite different genre, unlike the quite similar genre on the 2nd day. (Hey just my 2 cents worth of thought)

My favourite drummers, although All the drummers were superbly beyond my expectations.

Overall Good Performance = Gordon Campbell (he even played open handedly)
Mathematically challenging drumming (How to count? 15, 16 or 18 ) = Grant Collins.
Great tutor = Gregg Bissonette

All the Drumfest helpers are pretty, can sell "koyok" or not next time? :lol: (I'm talking about the ladies la, not guys :D )

Nice!! Hi-Five!!
AZ

yeah.... gorden campbell was my favourite too, his playing was destruction, the power and fluidity of his strokes were off the charts.. and the hang time!!! phewww

tony royster has a pretty powerful crossover move (beautiful arc too) but he's only sweeping over one drum on either side... when gorden did his sweeping, i notice he hit like several drums before crossing back his arms... that was deadly man.

i have no doubt however tony will get there (if he wants to) i was at Ranking to see him, and maybe he was a little lethargic (jetlag? not used to sg weather/food?) but he came to play, he had game.

by the time we got to the 2nd day, i felt he had taken in this new environment and was digging deeper and reaching further. the space he put in between his phrasing during his solo number was a joy to listen to. the sky's the limit for this young fella

My favorite drummer would be Jojo mayer, haha, nice technique!! I still cant believe it that I saw him with my very own eyes though. The impromptu jam that includes Janek,Tony Royster Jr and Jojo is my favorite act, period. All the rest of the drummers are definitely good as while.. I personally feel that its long though but even modern drummer festival is that long in America! so I guess we have to develop the stamina to keep up with the ang mohs and absorb everything that the drummers are offering! Most of my friends that came , non-drummers and drummers said that Singapore Drumfest is great! And I think this really puts "Singapore" on the world map for Drummers! haha! Thanks to Boon once again, don't know whether you are reading this or not :)

Hi Plainsman... thanks for your comments...But just a little note here, to keep it accurate, Tony Royster Jr was performing at Ranking Sports and Music on that day at Bras Basah Complex. Ranking together with Excel Music is the official distributor for DW drums in Singapore, that was why Tony was there.

:D

Gregg Bissonette's personality really sticked out for me. He was really funny and I love the things that he share. They are really encouraging. I was really inspired by him.

He is a master drummer that does not need to prove anything

Just Found this on youtube... I really don't know what to say! Check out 6:07. I saw the other post and I love Nathaniel Townsley myself, but Jojo is just out of this planet! Really glad that he came Singapore! He is a master drummer that does not need to prove anything to anyone.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dan7enqlJg

Back