Coltrane - My Favourite Things

weckl-x

If only they'd let us listen to Coltrane's take on this tune back in primary school!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who grew up thinking it was a cheesy song for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_n-gRS_wdI

Yes, I am allowed to post this in the Drum forum also because it features the late great Elvin Jones. :D

Last edited:
I've the album My Favourite Thing too bro ..... but I use to listen to summertime.

Ahh..let's talk about the music for a change.

Who was the drummer on the live recorded Coltrane version of " my favourite things"?

Do you have any idea how Coltrane managed to keep a solo going for well over 20 minutes based on a children's ditty (from Sound of Music) comprising mainly a changes within a major pentatonic scale?

Try following his improvisations with the melody line and see how complex he made it. Then listen to how the drummer weave around the melody line and spaces, filling and counterpointing.

Actually it's only interesting from an academic perspective...most people would be turned off by the complexity and self indulgence.

Next try deciphering what Keith Jarrett does to that familiar jazz standard "Autumn Leaves"

Sometimes I feel easier to learn Tamil lah !

I think I read this account from Miles Davis' autobiography. Miles once scolded Coltrane for taking such long solos. And I guess Coltrane's always hearing music in his head, so he told Miles that he didn't know how to stop the flow of music when he plays.

Miles said to him... "Take the damn horn out of your mouth"!

HAHAHA!! I love it! Classic Miles' line! ;)

Sometimes I feel easier to learn Tamil lah !
Indeed! Haha.
Miles said to him... "Take the damn horn out of your mouth"!
Nice anecdote. That's something I really love about the old 'warriors'. No BS. They said it as they saw it.

Back