Clavinova CLP120 as a Midi input device?

jeremykoh89

Hi guys, just gotten into recording softwares and I'm wondering if my CLP 120 can be used as a midi keyboard? I'm using a digital audio interface w Cubase software already but I don't know what cables to connect if I want to transfer midi info from the clavinova. It has two midi ports, one saying In and the other says Out.

What do I need? Anyone able to help? Thanks!!

Yes, you can. You'll need a USB midi interface (one end is USB, the other end is a box with midi ins and outs). You need a simple interface - 1 in 1 out (ie 1x1). M-audio midisport will suffice (that is, if you are not using Windows 7 since they Win7 drivers are not out yet for M-audio).

For connection: Keyboard midi out -> midi interface midi in -> USB to PC.

You'll be able to input simple midi with the clavinova - ie playing the keys and pedals. If you want to do more complex midi sequencing that involves faders, mod wheels etc, you need a better midi controller.

Thanks Cheez for the reply. Mmm, any recommendations for the USB midi interface? That means I can't use my audio interface right? And dang! Im using Windows 7!!

Just found out that M-audio Win7 beta drivers are out. You can get them from the M-audio forum. So far, people who have tried it seems to have them working. I'll be downloading mine tomorrow. Just in time - have to play live in April. I was hoping to get my notebook ready then. Hope beta is stable enough...

Back