checking in your guitar/musical instruments at the airport

hifi_killer

hey, i'll be heading over to canada for some time, i'm considering bringing a cheap one over there. But i'm worried about the guitar not being able to survive the rough handling despite having the "fragile" stickers spammed all over the casing.

alternatively, i think i'll buy a guitar over there in canada. And if i'm lucky, i'll be able to sell it away in time before i come back to sg. If not i might have to check it in at the airport and bring it back to sg.

would appreciate some advice and suggestions.. thanks.

wrap the guitar with clothes/sponge/soft material.

Edit :Get a flightcase. If you're still scared, put the guitar flightcase into a bass flightcase. But seeing you only need a cheap guitar, might as well get it from canada, or even ship from US (free shipping from MF!)

Last edited:
Buy a seat for your guitar if you are too chicken to check in the instrument.

Guitar no passport :p

If precious, store in hardcase, then wrap hardcase with bubblewrap, finish with cardboard box outside and make sure they stick FRAGILE all over.

Not precious, stuff in a box with bubblewrap/clothes/misc cloth/etc. Or if it's small/miniature and you have spare hands, see if it fits in handcarry. Or yea just get one there and save yourself the trouble.

Last edited:
thanks,
has anyone actually successfully gotten their guitar overseas in 1 piece? does the airline matters? i'm on a 20+ hr flight to nyc and transiting in tokyo

I'd suggest getting a new one over there. NYC has a coupla good guitar stores, go check out Sam Ash and Guitar Centre, i visited both in March. Good range of stuffs there, and some of the guitars were heavily discounted. The showroom guitars weren't in good condition tho, best to ask for a new piece.

if you're checking in, hardcase FOR SURE.

fragile stickers yes. but you must realise that even with fragile stickers, stuff still gets thrown around. (check out the united breaks guitars videos haha)

ive actually brought guitars ONTO the flight in hardcases before.. and soft cases.. so far it's been alright. haha.

last time i removed the neck from the body , also ever put my jackson RR into cabin luckily the stewardess offerred me to keep it in the pilot storage it was 7 hours flight seoul - jakarta
but all of my guitars is a mid level guitar , maybe i will be more concern if i have a high end one like prs or gibson

if u wanna check in, pls use a hardcase, those abs type are the best, i use a SKB hardcase for my warwicks when i travel, no problem so far. and warwick are sensitive to rapid changing environment.

usually i fill up the missing gaps with cloth, etc.. to ensure a tight fit.

Bring it along with you on the plane home and store it in the overhead lugguage compartment throughout the journey i.o. checking it in. Dont trust those baggage handlers man.

I've done it myself w/gtr in a gig bag. Noticed some travelers doing it too.
If theres protests, get the stewards/ess to store it safely for you.
And make sure that they understand that they'll be responsible for any damages to the guitar

BTW, it was a below SG$ 100/- telecaster copy electric!!! LOLz.

Last edited:
I don't think they will be liable for any damages, remember reading some terms and conditions awhile ago..

Bring it along with you on the plane home and store it in the overhead lugguage compartment throughout the journey i.o. checking it in.

how do you do that? the guitar can fit in the overhead luggage compartment? do you need to make a special request when you check in ur luggage?

I don't think they will be liable for any damages, remember reading some terms and conditions awhile ago..

Even so, thats should get your point across!
I'm such a 'nasty/demanding traveller' when it comes to taking flights ;)

how do you do that? the guitar can fit in the overhead luggage compartment? do you need to make a special request when you check in ur luggage?

Dont check it in. Take it with you as hand carry baggage.
Fits nicely with room to spare too.

The only thing that worries me is hitting turbulence!

used only skb...either way gutiars in mapleland are cheaper than here...i'd just head to tom lee and buy one

tom lee in Canada serious ( i thought tom lee is in hk or something)? any chance that it will be in ottawa? I tried googling guitar shops + ottawa, and the guitar shops that came up and their range of guitars arent that fantastic.

Back