Buying from overseas

omgmatt

Hi everyone

Does anybody have any experience buying from overseas? I'm looking at a couple of pieces on reverb,
but I don't really know what's the process involved in purchasing and shipping an item over. Is there anything
to look out for (extra costs) in terms of duties etc, and how reliable is it usually? Any information will be greatly
appreciated! :)

Thanks

Hi everyone

Does anybody have any experience buying from overseas? I'm looking at a couple of pieces on reverb,
but I don't really know what's the process involved in purchasing and shipping an item over. Is there anything
to look out for (extra costs) in terms of duties etc, and how reliable is it usually? Any information will be greatly
appreciated! :)

Thanks

Reliability depends on sender/shipper. There are scammers everywhere selling fakes or damaged goods.
Ask or seek advice from fellow forumers if you can.
GST is usually applicable for goods above $300. Beware if high end guitars are under-declared in value, in the event if goods are stolen or damaged, the claims will be based on the declared value.
Shipping company is also important. I have used DHL, FEDEX, UPS without any issues.
Having said all these, I feel it would be better to buy guitars from our local merchants if what you are looking for is available here. You can test out and save on shipping.
.......just my 2cts.:)

GST charged on inbound shipments above S$400 CIF value - Which means cost of item inclusive of freight. With item value declared in USD, you're also at the mercy of the exchange rate used by the customs authority when they value it. It will not translate perfectly to what you see on your bank statement.

When there are taxes there will also usually be another $10 disbursement charge because the shipping co pays the GST for you first and then you have to reimburse them.

I buy and sell overseas quite often. I'm a bass player so I deal mostly on talkbass. Talkbass has a very reliable community and trustable feedback system. I'll only buy a bass from overseas if:
1. Buyer has numerous positive feedback
2. Paypal protects the buyer well so its relatively safe to shop through that
3. Talking to seller gives me the confidence that he/she knows what he/she is doing and is able to pack the guitar well

For reverb, there are music stores selling through there as well so they are relatively safe as in the event the item is damaged on arrival, can get refunded. But if independent sellers such as us, must see feedback profile. Shipping from oversea always have an inherrent risk. If you cant take the risk, dont go for it. With lower prices, comes the risk:twisted:

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I'm actually running the numbers, and it seems to cost upwards of 500 USD to ship a 335 style guitar from the US to SGD, together with insurance. This is already not considering the 7% GST that I'm liable to pay for when the guitar clears customs. Frankly, I'm a little bit puzzled why it's costing so much, as I expected around 200-300 USD. Is there a particular service or courier that is better to use? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I'm actually running the numbers, and it seems to cost upwards of 500 USD to ship a 335 style guitar from the US to SGD, together with insurance. This is already not considering the 7% GST that I'm liable to pay for when the guitar clears customs. Frankly, I'm a little bit puzzled why it's costing so much, as I expected around 200-300 USD. Is there a particular service or courier that is better to use? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

if you buy from an Individual, ask him if he can ship USPS First Class to reduce cost.
if you buy from a store, you're in luck as their shipping rates will be better due to economies of scale.
shipping in yourself, at Individual board rates, you're gonna get raped, thats all I can say.

Normally I buy local at Swee Lee (Perfect service) or Citymusic (they have the nomad music care products). Nevertheless there is some boutique gear which is not available here. I can recommend peach guitars and Anderson’s music in UK. I also ordered from analog man in US. Works all very well and delivery is usually within 2-3 days. Of course, you need to pay tax if more than 400SGD Incl shipping

i recently bought a guitar from Peach guitars UK last week. arrived no issues. and it was shipped insured- so no worries.

Latest posts

Back