bringing guitar overseas

Jayshen

I am going on an overseas trip and i want to bring my acoustic over. What is the things i must do? Must i check it in? Can i use a soft case instead of a hard case since i dun hav a hard case?

i think hand carry also should use hard case. once i was travelling with my keyboard with a soft case, they put my keyboard where they hang your suit/jacket. one of my key broke after i touch down.

imagine a plastic keyboard can also break, what will happen to an acoustic.

I had my electric in the overhead compartment. The crew was nice enough to protect that particular compartment and not let anyone else dump their stuff in there. It was in a softcase, came out fine :)

can you carry a guitar, plus another bag as carry on luggage? don't they have a maximum amount of baggage you're allowed to carry on?

if ur guitar is in softcase, be it electric or acoustic, they will let u carry as hand-carry. if its hardcase, somehow, they won't allow it.
last time i came back from perth, i was allowed to carry in my electric in softcase + a small haversack. cheers

I carry my acoustic (a Baby Taylor, so it's a bit smaller than a regular acoustic size) all the time when I travel and it's no problem. It's in a soft case and can easily fit in the overhead. I normally carry on a small luggage, a hand carry bag (laptop) and my guitar and occupy half a regular overhead bin.

If you ask them nicely (at least on SQ), they'll keep it for you in a special cupboard where they put all the suit jackets, so no chance of it getting damaged.
<EDIT>
Just read SOFT's 'keyboard damaged in suit jacket cupboard' post, so clearly my 'no chance of damage' statement is a lie.

When I moved to singapore i put my guitar in 'oversized' luggage and wrapped it up in clothes and paper becuase it was a soft bag, came out fine but my amp didnt :(, but that was in a boz with all my other shit with all the other standard luggage.

hmmm...what about gigantigous bass guitars in gigantigous cases ? im talkin almost coffin size, 10kg total weight

i didnt noe u can hand carry ur guitar into the airplane.... when i bought my guitar from HK to singapore, they didnt let me hand carry it man... have to check it in wif my other luggage.... at least they helped me to make it a raffles class piorty so its handled wif care.... n when it came out it came out in the odd sized luggage belt... n i was traveling SQ..

i din have a problem wif that, I was also in SQ raffles class. maybe hk side more strict, i dunno. but it seems like a common sight to see ang mo kids carring guitars wif them while in transit. its juz a guitar, not a gun... :lol:

Back