Best way to record at home?

Xypher

Hi all..

I wanna record my guitar playing at home, but im not sure which software/set up to use..
What is a good method that does not include overly expensive software/equipment, but reasonable sound quality? The last i checked, cubase 4 was $800+ with student disc..

Thanks!

imho, just a latop/pc with audio interface, you be good to go.

As for what audio interface, offering from lexicon, m audio do have some good deal and come bundled with software to do recording, editing, sequencing and midi programming. Usually the basic unit will still cost couple hundred, but less than 800 for sure..Those bundled software usually is the simpler version, but you still can do lotsa thing with it. And if it support various (freeware/shareware)vsti, vst plug-in you can further expand on the usage

anyway, do check out the computer and sound forum in soft, theres some really good info which might be useful to you.

Last edited:
For software, you could use Reaper http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php
It's shareware and pretty good.

If your computer has a line-in plug you can plug you guitar in there but it wont sound so good. If you have a Multi-fx, a buffered effects (like a Boss) or some kind of booster pedal then put that between your guitar and the computer line in.

Get a line 6 POD that has a recording feature... Buy it at City Music. Since they are having a sale, the cost now is less than $200!!!

Hi Xypher,

Perhaps you may wish to consider the Line 6 Toneport products, espescially the GX if you only wish to record your guitar. We will be having a clinic here on home recording and Line 6's toneport range of products on this Saturday(tomorrow) at 4pm. Do drop by if you are interested.

Cheers!

wait.. a cubase 4 is 800 plus bucks?
then the software that comes free with the zoom g2.1u is what?
i thought it was cubase too..

How about guitar>podxtl>reaper?

Does it sound like a good combination?

i have the Line6 KB37, i think theres some conflict when U run both Line6 Gearbox & Reaper (i cannot change settings on the Gearbox when Reaper is running..& it sounds different as well...) maybe i'm doin' something wrong anyone else have the same problem??

is the podxtl also using gearbox sw?

anyway i dont really like the distorted sounds when i record direct to the KB37, clean-ish sounds are ok, distorted sounds abit digital...

Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_multitrack_recording_software

I'd recommend the free (not shareware) ones, licensed in GNU GPL. Audacity is pretty popular. There's this new one also: http://traverso-daw.org/

Most type of noises are due to the environment and internal hardware. Noise removal is a matter of identifying the noise, setting it up as the noise profile, and clicking on a noise removal function/plugin. You can go advanced, by using freehand selection and identifying only the affected spectra. Don't try to run 2 programs at the same time for the same purpose.

Back