best configuration/set-up for recording on desktop.

Kimmi

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing my recording on a Laptop and have been running into some problems.

1.occasional errors
2.midi keyboard recorded using xpand! doesn't sync when playback.
3.My 'click' isn't constant.pauses.
4.Lags

I'm using a pro tools m powered on my laptop but intending to use my desktop to record also.

anybody perfect or good/best computer set ( ram,processor,memory ) for recording.So as to have the smootest recording process.

Thanks alot in advance!!

For recording, the specs of the PC is not the main determinant for performance, as one will imagine. The main things are:

1. A dedicated machine that does nothing except DAW - and optimised.
2. Audio interface
3. Dedicated hard drive of minimum 7200rpm
4. Then your PC specs (RAM being the most important, then comes the processor speed). My old P3 933MHz can do quite a bit of multiple track recording and mix-down with minimal latency without pops and clicks.

So for your notebook - suggestion is to:

1. Dual boot if it's not already dedicated for DAW purposes.
2. External firewire HD for recording
3. Make sure drivers are up to date
4. Sufficient RAM

When you say your keyboard doesn't sync when using xpand! during playback, what is it not sync'ed with?

1. A dedicated machine that does nothing except DAW - and optimised.
Yea,for desktop,I'm using it just for my recording purpose and nothing else.What do you mean by optimised?

2. Audio interface
I vary between two interface.Firewire solo and a Projectmix I/0, but for desktop,i mostly use the projectmix.

3. Dedicated hard drive of minimum 7200rpm
I'm not very good with computer.How can i go bout finding the rpm of 7200rpm?

4. Then your PC specs (RAM being the most important, then comes the processor speed). My old P3 933MHz can do quite a bit of multiple track recording and mix-down with minimal latency without pops and clicks.
Is it the one you check when you 'right-click' on My Computer under properties?I saw a 504 mb of ram for my desktop .( I'm bad with comp things)

Other question to add:

1.I can't seem to swiftly open the plug ins etc.

FOR MY NOTEBOOK:

1. Dual boot if it's not already dedicated for DAW purposes.
My comp is under my school control so for now,i can't do much to it.When i purchased it,i wasn't given a XP cd also!.=(

2. External firewire HD for recording
Hmm,I'll put thoghts on getting a firehd on hold cos i just purchase a keystation.haha

3. Make sure drivers are up to date
drivers up to date?

4. Sufficient RAM
1.gb of RAM for my laptop.

For the keyboard is like:

ok,keystation 61es is my midi thingy and i use the Xpand! provided by pro tools to use the sounds on it. I open a instrument track and record.I begin to record,I played, stop and playback what i recorded but the playback isn't what I play.Got "spaces".Don't know if thats the right word.

Thanks for the reply and help cheez in advance

Back