Be Honest

somebody

hey guys. just thought of starting a topic where we can all be honest abt one another's genre of music.
not to start a riot or anything.
just so that we can understand one another's culture and music.
why we do the stuff we do.

lemme get the ball rolling.

i think screaming in metal songs is redundant.
spoils the whole image of metal.
what is the reason for the screaming?
i have people who give me weird looks when i tell them that my band and I are a metal band.
"huh? metal? eee so noisy scream and scream"
i always looked at metal music as songs that talk abt things that people seldom think abt, or they do think abt it but are afraid to say it.
thats where metal artists bring it forth.
but if you scream, i do not think anyone can understand the song.

just my 2 cents worth.
wanna see how far this can go.
sorry to offend anyone. =)

cheers.

yea i know there are different genres of metal.
but screamo.. hmm..

would like to know why you guys do what you do.

cheers.

i think it is best to "you do your thing and let others do theirs". coz we are all different.

*usually when there's any music that i do not enjoy at that moment, i will slowly walk away.

no offence.

one man's cup of tea is another man's poison , like what James said , do what you like , nothing is wrong with it , why find fault with what others do ?

Just some stuff from my head:

About that screaming thing...
If they can scream well, it can enhance the songs themselves.
For example the killer scream in Angel of Death by Slayer and the background screams in The Vines' songs like Ride.
They are almost like vocal percussion.

If they scream for no point then I don't really like it.

One thing I don't like about some heavy metal bands is the vocal. They sound almost like grunts and some vocalists just try too hard to change their voices. On the other hand, IMO non-heavy metal bands like the strokes also have bad vocalists (or maybe I just don't like the way the stroke's vocalist sings their songs). Sometimes a band has good intrument players but the vocalist ruins it all.

IMO screaming can be pretty cool itself, especially if you're talking about certain heavy bands like In Flames and Soilwork, who mix screaming and proper singing. Adds a certain flavour in the song, though such music takes time for one to appreciate.

I think the sreaming is becuase of the anger in the song. Personally I like metal where I can understand the lyric, or has yelling, but is still coherent, E.G Metallica 8)

I don't mind some screaming metal either.

I like In Flames - Soundtrack to your escape better then their older stuff becuase I can understand it,and it has a better sound with the drums and guitar imo.

depending on what kinda screaming, girls screaming (whitney houston, cyndi lauper, mariah carey) can really enhance the song and bring out their powerful voices... guys screaming, depends, some are just pure rubbish, but theres some which really kicks ass, big time...depending on what kinda song lar... if its heavy metal kind, some can really scream really well, some can't...

corey taylor's screaming makes me angry.
killswitch engage's howard jones's screaming makes me angry.

they drove their point across by screaming at me.

heh.

Lol how about growling?

i like soulfly's growling...

Lamb of god screamings? Lol..

It really depends. Lets just say... Its not about image but under what circumstances u listen to which type of songs.

For example, if ure like tired, wanna relax, after a damn tired day, jazz maybe? blues? or even funk. (ok for me la, funk lol).

Somebody: it really depends, some metal aint got screaming. Maybe to them, metal = everything very loud. Loud = screaming? well i guess thats why?

ok hey. like i said. didnt mean to start a riot.
just wanna hear from one another why we do what we do. lets try to respect one another's music.

just wanted to know WHY. not how.

thanks for those who have given me ur 2 cents worth.
at least i know of some good bands who do "good" screaming.
gonna check em out.

keep this going guys!

Hmm

Linkin Park screams too but nobody found it noisy or what & they are still selling in the market (not to mention, they aint Metal at all).

Try to widen your horizon of knowledge bec being too narrow minded can sometimes kill creativity.

If the screaming enhance the song, it is music;
If it doesn't, it is a noise.
One person's music can be noise to another person.
Quite subjective.
Depend on each individual's preference.

somebody said:
ok hey. like i said. didnt mean to start a riot.
just wanna hear from one another why we do what we do. lets try to respect one another's music.

no man bro!!!!! dun get me wrong! im not saying u... but some fucckers who goes 'yurks... punkrock' u noe? its okay if u say u dun like.. but dun fucck them upside down man.....!!!!!!! bro!!!!!!! dun get me wrong! :D

Back