Bassists who use picks

from the live vids, he plays slower when he's using a pick. i don't know whether or not he uses a pick on the records but it is definitely faster

i think that's normally the case unless you do the mute-and-scrape a-la punk rock method, which IMHO is, dare i say, the wrong way of playing a bass

but then again there is no 'wrong' way of playing. whatever rocks your boat, shakes your bakes

haha its not really that difficult to be honest. BUt yeah, its true it takes awhile to build up finger speed compared to picks. BUt when it comes to choosing pick or fingers, the musician should have the tone in mind first. not whether which one he can play faster with.

thats why you see most bassists in rock bands uses picks. im sure they can be equally competent with their fingers if they dedicated the same amount of time, its just that the pick sound is more 'rock'

hmm i would say that there are a lot of rock and metal bass players who started from electric guitar, that's why they continue using the flatpicking technique on the bass. there are also bassists who have classical guitar background, hence the fingerpicking technique.

i wonder if there are any bassists who use hybrid picking on the bass... :D

i feel that when you play bass with a pick, it has the more edgy and maybe even more punchy sound that can cut through the mix (besides, eq-ing) and IMO, i can play faster with pick.

i like to play with the pick cause of the tone it gives... more attack.. but i can play faster with my fingers lol

Yup, Cliff and Geezer plays finger style 99.99% of the time......but during recording, sometimes they use picks to get a certain twang.

I personally prefer to use fingers when I play bass, but that's because I like the fatter, bassier and more rumbling kinda tone. I can't play bass with a pick easily though, or maybe its because I'm still quite a noob at bass.

i play with both picks and fingers,

but just curious
does any bassist here play with nails?

cause i kind of like playing with nails
the sound sounds more define to me.
HAHA

Nails? I've tried it. Technically when I play with fingers my nails touch the strings too. Kind of nice sound, but when you make mistakes or lose rhythm it can be pretty obvious.

i only know tht pete wenz uses picks
hahaha
and i use picks too when playing bass
lol

Nails? I've tried it. Technically when I play with fingers my nails touch the strings too. Kind of nice sound, but when you make mistakes or lose rhythm it can be pretty obvious.

just be steady and don't make mistakes lor.
HAHA really lyk the sound of the nails.

got used to it so much when i play without nails,
i ended up with 2 blisters on my hands.
HAHA

Wow, KeDraiv, that's really unique. I do know Geddy Lee has this flamenco playing style which involves using fingers on the downstroke and using nails on the upstroke, creating a fast, aggressive and 'clunky' tone.

Duff Mckagan - Velvet Revolver/GN'R
Nikki Sixx - Motley Crue
Rachel Bolan - Skid Row
late Cliff Burton - Metallica (if im not wrong)
Markus Grosskopf - Helloween

i think use fingers better lah. the sound is more bass-y
LOL! in any ways its up to the person. =_=
i dun like pick much thou..
i fingerpick my bass ^^!
and actually you can play a7x songs using finger picking ^^

Back