Backing for Modal/Emotive Practice, Q&A session

ShredCow

*Don't think this should be under OM, this is more How-To IMO*

Hey all,
After seeing that Songwriting thread. Lets put it all to practice.

This =>
http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3CWMCC09ELNUK2LP0YXIMHM56E
http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=12KGU3M2W8Y9L22VL4ZPCDJFGB

Is a multipurpose backing track. Its got just 2 bass notes, E and A. Repeated over and over again. And its SLOW.....

So what?
Well, you can treat this as a modal practice in every mode you can think of. In the key of E. Major or minor, its up to you.

You can also treat it as an Emo backing. And go slow, practicing your vibrato AND bending, because you will hear every bit of mistake you make in such a sparsely instrumented track.

Do give it a shot, and lets post some tracks here, then lets share our ideas. Especially, those of you "newbies" and what not, its time to ask,

• Why did you play that?
    How did you play this?
    How do you compose that?
    What made you think this way?

I understand that I might not be able to come in and comment on everyone's piece, neither will I be able to advise on everything/everyone so I would like to have some of the SOFTies who frequent SOFT regularly, to give comments and help. Please. :wink:

imma gonna try practicing like Vai and Satch on this one, let's see what i can come up with by just playing with 2-3 notes :D Seeing that Mr Cows would be working to make money for more boteek stuff :D (what's next on the list btw?), i do hope that the others can help out. Let this thread be one where we help each other out with our playing :supz: :heart: :rock:

YES. Others must come help...

Strats, please download and do your stuff. You can also comment. No issues.

Next on the list, is probably a Fulltone Clyde Wah from MrMisse. DAMN YOU EDMUND.

Hey cows, what did mode did you use for the minor takes? first thing that came to mind was of someone dying or a funeral. very dark and sad. for the major take, i believe it's lydian for the intro then you moved on to mixolydian? are these 2 takes purely improvs?

ah. Yeah, both are pure improvisations... just click record, then go... was in the mood I guess.

Lemme try to remember...
Minor was just normal E minor at first I think. Got lots of phrygian. Half-whole scales... harmonic minor... stuff I have no idea what it is but sounded nice. Basicially, I'm very bad at minor key improvisations, so its a little hard for me to comment... sorry man.

Major was a mix of lydian and mixolydian. Pretty easy to hear the lydian happening. Did a lot of passing notes and chromatics (in both takes), overall, giving the improv a lot of room to breath.

I tried to do as much bending and vibrato stuff... dynamics, phrasing... something I don't usually do much...

Hope you can steal some ideas, like the use of octaves, sliding and well... i used my fingers a lot.

how about synchopation? any examples of that? i won't be posting anyting up until next week(school stuff and need new cables).

I think sycnopation might be easier (more obvious) when done with an prominent beat.

Try to do up a simple 4/4 drum beat.. nothing complex, something like them Van Halen drums? bass drum, snare, bass drum, snare, boom pah boom pah kind of easy rhythm.

Then start with playing on the offbeats which, depending on your drums, its either the bass drum or snare.

Haha... i have no idea man... seriously! Don't listen to santana at all. :p Satch, a little.

Just grab the backing and do something over it... ;)

Back