anyone used the zoom h2 handy recorder before?

xxrevilexx

hey guys! Anyone used or have the zoom h2 handy recorder? Anyone can feedback to me.. Anyone use it for band purposes.. Or any recording.. Can send me a sample recording thanks(raw file please :) means dont edit)! Or just a feedback but sample will be good :)

I've got 2 units, but I use it to record presentations, no bands so far, so I use mp3 in order to get more time into the 1GB card.
Pretty good unit for the money.
Anything else you need to know, just PM me..... I'll do my best to help out.

me use Zoom H2....I used it to record nylon guitar in my track...sounds pretty awesome...its the first track on my myspace...chillzz

it's great! www.myspace.com/farhanborst also used the zoom H2 to record vocals/guitars in his bedroom then i mixed/mastered.

Hi Blueprintstudios,

here's an important question that the TS might find very useful and I'm curious myself too... Did you use the in-built mic for the farhanborst recordings?
I doubt that you did though it would be very interesting for the TS as it could show him the quality of the in-built mic on the H2..
thks

whyiforceyoutosignup :

yes farhan used the H2 on guitars/vocals and keyboards line into the H2 layered recording

and like I said I mixed/mastered it so it has been "tampered" with.

but no way i would have taken up that mixing job if it was recorded with a shit mic/preamp/audio interface. and H2 is one that's definitely not shit.

you can't find another better recorder/audio interface/mics all in one at that price

hey biopromax!
just wanna ask whether you used the:
1.360degrees recording or just on the front or rear recording?
2.where is the placement of you musical instruments?
3.issit easily overloaded on bass frequencies with the inbuilt mics?

Last edited:
xxrevilexx : i'll answer those questions for you.
1. highly likely it's a 360degrees recording as the "holder of the H2" interviewing with the band. so for both : person infront of the H2 conversing with the person BEHIND the H2 , be recorded in . the optimal use would be that.

2. center of the stage would be best. put it abit lower to the ground where the kickdrum is , because condensers pick up cymbals more, so you want less cymbals, more kick.

3. yes. that's why they have 1) a Low cut 2) a limiter (use Limit2 : Concert) mode.

question- tried calling up city music, but they apparently only stock the h4n. does anyone know where i can get the h4?

The AGC/Compressor/Limiter on the H2 is useless. It operates in the digital domain after the ADC so if the mic or preamp have already overloaded it is just attenuating an already clipped signal. Best to just set it to off.

widdly : don't know about you, but the limit2 (concert) works very well for me,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdx4S2PyQLk <-- the H2 was mounted directly on the kickdrum. for such a high spl source would have clipped big time even if I used "no AGC" and record at low gain (already overloaded) and limit2 prevented it from sounding like a drums in a microwave. I understand postproduction can definitely be worked on the audio after recording. but on a "normal consumer scale" that entire process can be skipped just by flipping on the limiter, of course if you know mixing then best record it raw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mow_6_9FX_U <-- for a heavier band, indeed the limiter kicks in making the drums pump to barely audible. but hey most of the guitar/bass sounds come from the H2 also.

Back