Analog delay for bass

amnesiac

Ok, since this is a rookie corner, i'm gonna ask a rookie question..

I'm thinking of using an analog delay pedal for my bass (ie. MXR's carbon copy)

Is that advisable? How will it affect my bass sound? Thanks!

theres no delay for bass in the market.

Any delay can be used for bass as long as it doesnt rob you of the low end after processing

The circuit for delay doesnt distinguish between bass nor guitar or any other instrument. As long as you put a signal(be it people talking, bee buzzing or even air com hum) into the circuit, it will do its job, thats to delay, make signal repeat.

What some people do, is to use a larger cap in the input stage of the effect, to cater to bass signal frequency. But then, its prolly not necessary as well, to do so. Theres plenty of bassist using guitar effect and most importantly, as long as the low end is not compromised, a guitar effect even thou might alter the timbre of sound in some ways, it is not going to make a bass sounds like a guitar anytime.

no worries
icon7.gif

have fun with effect on bass! It shud take over geetars with ton of effect instead
icon10.gif

there are several kinds of fx that do not distinguish between guitar and bass signals. not only that, alot of over-the-top boutique pedals readily accept the bass

yeah man there is so much potential for fx on bass, especially since the use of fx on bass is rare in music

qn: why u want analog delay? or u just want the mxr carbon copy only

No la, any good delay will be fine. I just wanna try and see how it'll affect my sound etc. I'm a curious cat who loves to experiment, haha. Anyway, my guitarist has a delay so i'll probably use his to test water first :)

i've used a de7 on bass before. Sounds pretty good, especially with a bit of reverb.

Back