After a long time...

jenocide

i havent been drumming/jamming for quite sometime because i had to concentrate on some really pressing matters. now i finally have my much needed free time back, and i am itching to drum again.

the problem is, i dont really know where to start, and it feels really weird now to sit in front of a kit :(

its more like i am lost and dont know where to go, but seriously want to continue and achieve something this time round. anyone can guide this lost sheep? thanks!!!

hi, jeno,
i feel your pain man, once stopped for quite a while, feel, speed ( rudiments etc, are gone far from where you last stopped. IMO its hard to focus too many things at a same time, drumming with work, family etc.... I always fool around in my kit whenever possible, Just a simple groove and some fills, to get my engine started. Then will focus maybe this week on time, so just play with the click.
its hard to perfect all rudiments at a fast speed and maintain it with a busy work and family life, for me i basically only practice single strokes, parradiddles, six stroke rolls. so even if i am weak at others, i tend to be better at this few, ha ha
whenver i jam with friends or fool around at my kit , this ruddiments will be there,
But still i always stress to my self, timing is the more crucial part.
Just my 2 cents worth
hope that helps.
cheers

Hey man,

I understand what you feel. There was a period where the Choir in my school was having concert, so basically I had no access to drumsets, and my band went on a hiatus, so there was a period of 3 months where I did not touch a set at all, and it was pretty bad, considering I've played drums for a pretty shot time

I remember after so long, when I finally sat in front of the kit again, nothing came out. Haha it was horrible. Luckily I recovered pretty soon by playing the most basic groove, and the one that was my favourite as a basic, and soon I got myself more or less back on track

Plus around that time I got back into jamming with my band, so stuff worked out again for me. Today when I played again on my school set after playing my friend's one last week, I really realised why drummers should be particular about the pedals we use

The pedal I use in school, they're so old that they kind of resist your foot, causing you to feel uneasiness while you play and my timing was all screwed

Anyway, just play simple stuff as you slowly get back in. Good luck man, just my $0.02 worth =)

Cheers

ryuxdragonx>>> yea pedals can be a pain. sometimes it "resists" your "stomp" (actually, loosening the screw will help lol, but later do wrongly then GG LOL).

i took out my sticks and tried to hit the pillow as training like i used to just now. does. not. feel. good. or. smooth. AT ALL!!! :(

Aha pedals...I find that those pedals which inevitably play an "extra note" when you step (because they are too bouncy) are the most irritating haha.

I once had to stop drum lessons for 5 weeks because of exams/overseas trips/etc., and the thing is that I don't own a drumset, so I had no chance of practising on one at all. It felt really weird when I sat down in front of the drumset again (although its quite a short time compared to you guys lol), but I find that if you start with something you've been comfortable with and work your way up, you'll eventually get the feel again. I was looking through all my old drum scores and playing all those easy songs with straight grooves.

Aha pedals...I find that those pedals which inevitably play an "extra note" when you step (because they are too bouncy) are the most irritating haha.

Yeah man this is how the school pedal is reacting. I get super irritated, that i almost destroyed my sticks today on the set. I whack too hard, I saw wood chipping out bit by bit. Now I need a new pair =(

jenocide:
IMHO, one of the best ways to kickstart your drumming-engine again is to jam along to your favorite songs. I'm sure it will relight your fire again. Have fun! :D

Back