Advice on Snares

drum4Him

Hi, im thinking of getting a snare and i need some advice. I went to SL and i like the Tama Artwood Piccolo Snare. Nice finish with maple shells. Unfortunately, by some strange policy, customers are not supposed to test the sound of the snares. Anyhow, I'm actually looking for a primary snare 13" or 14" , maple shells preferrably. Are there other shops which sell snares? Does it sound weird to replace a normal snare with a piccolo snare as a primary snare? Any good suggestions for a budget of ~ $400 - 500? Any idea where i can get cheap soft cases and stands for the snare?

What kind of $hit policy is that?!

Well you can try Yamaha if you've got cash to spare... they sell some pretty good signature snares... Akira Jimbo signature snare... drools...

For 400-500 bucks you can buy a VERY solid snare... but still you have to tell us what sound you're looking for.

A piccolo for a main snare isn't anything bad at all... many drummers use that... but a piccolo is more suited to electronic music, maybe some drum n bass IMHO.

for a really good rock snare, get pearl's ian paice signature snare. if ure looking for a piccolo, i think chad smith has a signature snare too which i think is pretty good and definitely within ur budget.

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Well, actually im looking for a primary snare with a warm sound, with maple shells rather than the crsip cutting sounds of a steel / metal snare.

Any idea where can I find the pearl ian paice signature snare and the Chad Smith signature snare? I will drop by yamaha soon to check out their snares but I think they would be out of my budget :?

You want a warm sound and not the cutting, piercing sound, but you're looking for a piccolo? That's very contradicting, isn't it?

Piccolos are usually just used as effects, but its no crime to use it as a primary snare either. Go for the Chad Smith sig snare, it has a sweet sound with the kind of crack and sensitivity you expect from a steel snare. It's a 14x5, and has a very wide tuning range. You can get a sweet piccolo sound out of it if you tune it high enough. Similarly, you can get a fat, alex van halen-esque sound if you tune it low and muffle it a little.

A very versatile snare, especially great for a primary snare.

i'm using a tama woodtone series snare. I've found it to be extremely versatile. Sounds exactly like how i want it to be with the given tuning. Only thing i found is during recording or a mic-ed up gig... the ringing can be rather obvious...but nothing moongel can't handle....

Never will i play steel now..... but that's just me.

cheers!

The closest thing I can think of for the kind of sound you want is a 10X12 maple snare drum. That's pretty much all I can think of for a warm sound out of a pseudo-piccolo snare.

drum4Him said:
Hi, Thanks for the replies. Well, actually im looking for a primary snare with a warm sound, with maple shells rather than the crsip cutting sounds of a steel / metal snare.

Any idea where can I find the pearl ian paice signature snare and the Chad Smith signature snare? I will drop by yamaha soon to check out their snares but I think they would be out of my budget :?

both are available at swee lee. the ian paice snare i bought in 2003 cost me $335 or thereabouts. im not too sure about the chad smith one. its cheaper if im not wrong.

wow the chad smith signature snare sounds interesting :lol:
do they still sell it at Sweelee? cos i din see it last week. are there any other shops tt sell snares besides SL, Yamaha and Ranking? I wld like to check out other shops too.

You can check out Drum Resource at Excelsior too. Nigel has some snares there. I saw phattie drums' snares. Wonder how they sound like.

picollo

Picollo snares goes almost always together with funk.Because its so loud, funk players use it cos of the ghost notes that would sound clearer and more defined than compared to a 14 x 5.

Yeah the chad smith is dry steel sound, it has a good cut. pity you missed the sweelee sale it was going for 150. But snare sounds can be copied almost completely if you know how to tune it. Just get a standard 45 degree bearing edge and a good round shell, and you are well on your way. I do use a steel and a wood snare.

My steel is the yamaha custom stock snares and it sounds tight and good. My wood is a yamaha maple that the skin had been on for 3 years and people are saying it sounds damn good. Beats me man. As long as it sounds good, its good.

ive yet to check out drums resources, but ill definitely do soon. When are u guys organising another outing to his shop? I missed the previous one, sounded like alotta fun tho.

yeah i missed the SL sale too, im not a regular forum user haha i wonder if there will be a year end sale this december, but i doubt that prices will reach 50% again. thanx for all ur inputs pple.

If your budget is 400-500SGD, I would suggest that you look into Conaway drums, a custom drum company that can get you almost any drum for a damn good price, but of course shipping and all that isn't included.. I doubt it'll be much for just a snare..

www.conawaydrums.com

Go check out the prices he gives for maple/birch snares, pretty insane I'd say, considering the kickass hardware choices he gives you and your own choice of a finish in Fade, Burst, Wrap or...aiya whatever la. You get what I mean. :D

Good luck on finding your dream snare.

yo bro, i contacted dave conaway about a custom snare. the specs are as follows:

10 ply maple
default configuration
natural finish

USD$199 for snare, USD$129 for shipping to SG.

personally i don't think its worth it getting a custom snare from conaway... to fully customise the snare to YOU alone, it's gonna cost a real bomb. it's more feasible to get an "off the shelf" snare.

personally i'd recommend the smitty smith's sig snare or the artwood. both are amazing, esp the copper snare.

Back