Advice on Electronic Drums

gibs

Hey guys, I've just been interested in drums after trying it out over at my friend's place, but since I live in a HDB flat, I cannot afford to get acoustic drums.

And as you have already figured out, I'm really just a beginner. After looking around for electronic drums, I stumbled upon the iED01 and iED05. I hope I won't be hated upon, but I would like to ask some advice on what would be compromised upon when comparing these two sets to higher end ones such as the Alesis DM5 Set or the Rolands.

Well, I'm quite tight on cash, and I'm certain I won't spend $1k on drums... so any advice?

gibs.

Bro i suggest u go for accoustic drum. accoustic drum sound better for me and if u afraid ur neighboorhood complain, u can muffle ur drum.

disadvantage of electronic drum: Cost More , Wont be learning any real skill ( Especially Tunning ) , Using up Electricity.

Make ur mind :)

Hi Gibs

I had a Yamaha DTXtreme e-drum kit and upgraded to the Roland TD-20 v-drum kit - played for many years on electronic drums and finally gave in to what I miss most.. a set of acoustic drums.. a Tama Superstar Custom with Paiste Signatures... what a whole world of difference!! It is magic to play on an acoustic set but mind you, it has to be at the middle to higher end range to really enjoy the sound (especially the h-hats n cymbals)... for beginners, please, better to start with the real thing even if it's a low cost set.. drumming is a bit like golf.. if you don't learn the correct way from the start, you will develop unwanted habits that will be hard to remove in future...

Thanks for the advice guys!

I was under the impression that only the kick can be muffled... so how much does a basic acoustic set cost? And when you say 'unwanted habits', care to suggest some examples?

And back to my previous question... what would be compromised upon when comparing these two sets to higher end ones such as the Alesis DM5 Set or the Rolands.

Thanks!

gibs.

Last edited:
e drums

u want to spend 1k? better teke medelli 506 bro at ranking cost only 960. its a verstali e drums makes u rock like a real acoustic set. i dont regret to buy this stuff..

just my thought:
i realise how alot of drummers here think that e drums are inferior to acoustic drums.
i definitely agree, but more thought should be given to the individual's situation.
i have personal experience with both acoustic and e drums (i own both). i started out with e drums due to the noise levels etc. but changed to an acoustic set after i moved. 1 year after that, i find myself favouring my e drums more. its WAY quieter, allowing for better practice of licks and rudiments (imagine practicing licks on a drumset, way too noisy) and just plain jamming out without having to consciously play less loudly all the time. im selling my acoustic set currently, and am planning to buy my next acoustic only when i have a good soundproof room, where i can jam without worry. in my opinion, all that muffling only takes the fun out of the drums.

if you'd like to purchase e drums, i'd definitely recommend yamaha/roland. the extra money spent is well worth it.
for acoustic drums, i agree with burpie. to get a nice sound, you need at least a mid range set and mid range cymbals. eg. getting a pearl RT and PST3 cymbals would definitely not cut it, but its a good choice for beginners.

Last edited:
electronic drum

just my thought:
i realise how alot of drummers here think that e drums are inferior to acoustic drums.
i definitely agree, but more thought should be given to the individual's situation.
i have personal experience with both acoustic and e drums (i own both). i started out with e drums due to the noise levels etc. but changed to an acoustic set after i moved. 1 year after that, i find myself favouring my e drums more. its WAY quieter, allowing for better practice of licks and rudiments (imagine practicing licks on a drumset, way too noisy) and just plain jamming out without having to consciously play less loudly all the time. im selling my acoustic set currently, and am planning to buy my next acoustic only when i have a good soundproof room, where i can jam without worry. in my opinion, all that muffling only takes the fun out of the drums.
well pinkly i dont think dats a good way for practice. Drummer always use Acoustic drum. did they use elec drum ? and u mention dat u using elec for practice and if u going to gig u also use elec to perform ? and if u use acoustic to perform u wont be dat good cuz u using elec drum recently. and both hav different feeling and playing. elec is only for a fun playing drum not for practice or learn.

well pinkly i dont think dats a good way for practice. Drummer always use Acoustic drum. did they use elec drum ? and u mention dat u using elec for practice and if u going to gig u also use elec to perform ? and if u use acoustic to perform u wont be dat good cuz u using elec drum recently. and both hav different feeling and playing. elec is only for a fun playing drum not for practice or learn.

Actually, yes, some drummers DO use elec drums for gigs. Easier to set up, saves tuning time... so it's using electronic drumset, with acoustic cymbals and snare if wanted.

hmm so after all the reasearch and everything... i got 2 questions...

1: Can an acoustic drum set be dampened till it is quiet enough for neighbours not to hear?

2: What's your take on cheaper drumsets (eg. ION iED01, Traps E400)?
Thanks for all the help so far!

gibs.

i disagree. i find the transition between elec and acoustic very smooth. i agree that gigging requires getting used to an acoustic set, but what i am trying to say is that elec kits are good for practicing on, after which you can take it to your acoustic. although i agree that both have different feel, you cant be serious when you say that an elec kit is only for fun and not for practicing or learning. thats like saying practicing on a pad is useless.

hmm so after all the reasearch and everything... i got 2 questions...

1: Can an acoustic drum set be dampened till it is quiet enough for neighbours not to hear?

2: What's your take on cheaper drumsets (eg. ION iED01, Traps E400)?
Thanks for all the help so far!

gibs.

1. refer to the 'how to - drums' section. the info you need is there.

2. i personally feel that you should just save up for a roland/yamaha elec kit. cheaper kits serve their purpose but after a period of playing, you might regret not saving up for a better kit in the first place.

I agree with Pinkly... may I humbly summarise the pros n cons of electronic drums (as compared to an acoustic set):

- When you use your headphones with e-drums, you have the "real" sound of how your drums would sound as if you were listening to a drummer from a stereo system or an mp3 player, crisp and fresh sound! Plug in an mp3 player and play along with the music and you'll be one of the band members instantly! And best of all, the only sound people around you would hear would be "thuk thuk thuk thuk - thukthukthukthuk - thuk thuk..." and you would look like a mad fella in his own world... best part is that your mother, brother, girl-friend will leave you alone and go watch TV wothout you...

- Save $$$ and go for the more pro mid-range like the Alesis, Yamaha, Roland.. more drum kits, functions etc... And yes, of course you can practise on the e drums.. (so much better than practising on a practice pad or kick-drum pad) and with the more higher-end the module e.g. Roland TD-9 onwards, the more realism you can have... sensitivity, cymbal chokes, tune-able mesh skins etc.

- I can hit as hard as I want on the e drums and feel open and good about it, yet control the volume according to the situation (during the day I plug into a Roland PM-30 which has a 200W amplifier - can even perform with the Roland on stage!! and I use headphones at night)...

- The downside is no matter what, you can't really get the connection that you would with an acoustic set (humbly but remember I owned the TD-20 before, top of the line).. it's like... say... driving a real Alfa Romeo with manual gear versus trying out the SingTel F1 video simulation driving (they have a replica car and all - try it, they're at Parkway Parade now)

- So yes, you can practise on e drums and seamlessly transition to an acoustic set - perhaps it's like preparing for the F1 on the simulator, and then doing the real thing on the track (where the vrooom is different!!!)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys!

And when you say 'unwanted habits', care to suggest some examples?

gibs.

Some unwanted habits that may become embedded when learning on electronic drums as compared to the real thing:

- not developing variable muscle power in the calfs or feet... it is so easy to do a loud kick on an e drum without effort, just program the bass drum according to your wishes! Whereas in the real kit, you can choke your downward hit or let it bounce etc.. so many variations to master... wait till you do double bass pedals... drumming is a physical sport... so unfortunately you gotta sweat and build up stamina!

- I love rim shots on the snare... you got to position your downward stroke with the right amount of stick positioning and master this art (do it a lot for Jack Johnson songs)... with my Roland TD-20 which comes with realistic rim shots, all I got to do is.. hit the rim!! Ha ha, in any way I like... We all know that a rim shot involves both the skin and the rim... not so with e drums.. just whack...

- The pain for all e drums are the hi-hats!! Even with the TD-20 and the look-alike hi-hats with normal hi-hat stand etc.. they are made of RUBBER... The quality of the hi-hat is so so important as this is the instrument that usually gives the 16-beat foundation and the percussion needed to keep the groove.. and it needs lots of variation to keep it clean.. yes you can very with a rubber hi-hat but it is different... totally different and you tend to get lazy on the rubbers... cos there is only so much they can do...

- I have more but will stop at 3... you get the picture!!

Burpie, nicely done ;) Thanks!

And lastly, how does the feel of cheaper drum kits (iED01) compare to the mid-end ones? I mean, assuming both has rubber pads, and not meshes.

gibs.

The difference lies mainly in the sound quality( how realistic the sound sounds) and also the trigger and response. I'm currently using the yamaha dtxplorer, and much as I want to say how much I love it, I do really hate it once in awhile. The electronic drums really kills the joy in drumming and I would definitely choose acoustic set if i get to choose again.

The electronic kit will stunt your drumming growth due to the differences between the acoustic and the e kit.

Choose wisely. :D

Latest posts

Back