Advice on a new guitar

The-Warlord

Hi folks,
I've got a Ibanez S470DQXM, and the flloyd rose style trem is driving me crazy. I never use it and now that I'm playing alot more jazz/chordy stuff over metal, the tuning is'nt holding up. I'm in the market for a new guitar, Budget 2-2.5k. I'd like the following:
1. "Normal" trem if possible
2. Strat style body
3. Decent wood (Not a fan of adler etc)
4. Neck-thru would be nice.
5. H-S-H / H-H set up
6. Nice fast neck like the S series have

I'm looking at Schecter guitars, and they seem pretty decent, so I'm just asking here to see if anyone has any ideas for other stuff that I might not have found.

cheers!

This is very strange.

Its a good trem that ZR, could be possibly damaged or baldy setup?

It's set up ok. It is strange, because up until now it's been great. Its just when I'm doing the big chords, the tuning pretty quickly goes. I've tried heavier strings that won't bend so much, but with no luck...

And about the adler - I'm just not a fan of the sound.

anyone have any experience with Warmoth?

It's set up ok. It is strange, because up until now it's been great. Its just when I'm doing the big chords, the tuning pretty quickly goes. I've tried heavier strings that won't bend so much, but with no luck...

Sounds like a case of a worn trem. You could buy a new trem - only if you like the guitar is. Otherwise block it.

But frankly - with the budget you have, upgrade lah. Get a better instrument.

I've gone the custom route - USA Custom Guitars - The finest custom replacement guitar parts available.

Made me this:

IMG_2024.jpg

And if you're going custom - time to explore! Hehe.

Yea, I''ve saved a bit of money from work and would like to buy a nice guitar. Ideally I want to get a custom guitar - they are cheaper than I thought and I could get something that is perfect. My only problem is I can't order a neck and a body - I am the worst handyman in the world. I need to find someone that can assemble it, or a website that offers that as well...

Yea, I''ve saved a bit of money from work and would like to buy a nice guitar. Ideally I want to get a custom guitar - they are cheaper than I thought and I could get something that is perfect. My only problem is I can't order a neck and a body - I am the worst handyman in the world. I need to find someone that can assemble it, or a website that offers that as well...

mtlutherie

Look him up, I think he's the best around and he wouldn't fool with your money.

I like the path you've chosen, I think every guitarist should look to improve his tools whenever he can.

i could not agree more with shred and fgl. i've gone custom too. mine's from warmoth. waiting on my pickup rings to arrive before sending it in to set up. :)

nice axe btw shred!

So how did you folks do it? So far I understand getting a body, neck + fretboard, paint job, and bridge. About the copper shielding, electronics etc I have no idea. I wan BK pickups so I'd order them separately. IS there a check list somewhere of all the stuff I need? cheers.

not that i know of. but i read thru the warmoth site and got acquainted with the various parts etc. also had the help of several bros here! i believe most electronic stuff maestro or davis would already have. pots, caps, pickups etc. i ordered my warmoth off the showcase so it came finished and fretted etc.

No worries about the parts because - from what you've listed you already know the major components.

Just look up a production guitar that has the specs you have... and copy that.

Wiring is not a big deal. Really. There are proficient techs here... and you don't need copper foil - shielding paint will do.

You sure on the BKK? Very expensive and there are handwound pickups for cheaper.

You need a paint job? That's up to you... I didn't get a paint job - I just tru-oil-ed the whole thing myself with help from Malcolm. No paint job = less $ spent but 3 months on oiling. Heh.

You should be concerned abt the neck - size of fretwire? Material of fretwire? Neck carve? Those things affect playability. Do try out various guitars - I used to think flat, thinnnnnn necks were WOAH - then I realised that they weren't exactly good for tone. Look at what Paul Gilbert's using these days. He has a youtube vid of his new guitars and yeap, thicker necks gets him better tone.

Back