Playing music in local bars

Aragorn777

What's up guys.

It has always been a dream of mine to moonlight in a local pub/bar.
I am sure that there are some of you softies out there that does so, and have got some experience in this industry.
Just wanted to enquire about it. Like, how much is one paid, the hours you put in to practice, juggling your daily work with this, what it takes and all that.

Just a fun little conversational topic!

Looking forward to seeing your responses haha

What's up guys.

It has always been a dream of mine to moonlight in a local pub/bar.
I am sure that there are some of you softies out there that does so, and have got some experience in this industry.
Just wanted to enquire about it. Like, how much is one paid, the hours you put in to practice, juggling your daily work with this, what it takes and all that.

Just a fun little conversational topic!

Looking forward to seeing your responses haha

here's a response ...

ok so you want to be a musician and at the same time have a decent job..can be done as many have been doing it for years. honestly if you have a family or girlfriend/boyfriend/pet ..it will not be easy to juggle all of that because you time will be taken up 80%. monday to friday work then gig maybe saturday no work but still have to gig at night ..and possibly sunday is the only off day which you might have to learn songs or maybe practise..

pay wise..i guess now most pubs /night spots pay $300 for the whole band unless your band is jive talking or some other lau chiau band who has been in the scene for the past 30 to 40 years and still holding the gig to the same spot ...
if you walk around clarke quay on a friday or saturday evening you will notice that most of the bands there are all acoustic with one cajon / percussion player...three acoustic guitars. all sing..and the cajon...and they play 2 or 3 nights / week.
you can also do corporate or wedding gigs but your repertoire must be stanrds, oldies and dance and please be prepared for the drunk uncle who will request cha cha or country so that his group can dance..these gigs pay about 150 to 200 but depends on how many there are in the band.

the session scene is a titanium cutain to to crack..those in it are holding position to the very end and most probably will continue to session in their afterlife.

the jazz ..all ang mo cockroaches who play the gigs with different band names but the same bunch of musos..its a tight knit circle tighter than my virgin anal sphincter. these gigs pay well because the night spot owners like to see ang mo on stage.

it would also help if one of the lau chiau band members is a family friend ...relative..then you would have no problem breaking into the scene...

for a start if you are on your own with your shiny new band be prepared to accept $20 / head ..or just free soft drinks at the bar ...

on a darker side..the live music scene is singapore is almost dead in the water and many 'agents' are actually playing the gigs themselves and not employing.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back