Acoustic Guitar Dehumidification Regime

cornloh

How do you guys do it?

I was told to use the dehumidifier once a week for eight hours (which is what I do). And what about the rest of the week? Do you place silica gel, Thirsty Hippo in the case?

perhaps instead if thirsty hippo and silica get a zorbit pack

http://www.bgwguitars.com/data/acczorbit.htm

these keep the humidity level around the case(hard/soft) at a optimal(or near there) level.

Ive not used any dehumidifier with my acoustic, which is a solid top cedar guitar, and ive only used one zorbit pack since like 2 years ago hahahah

So far the guitar is in good shape, no neck wrap thus far. The only damage that time has done to it is probably a little bit of bloating around the bridge area. Perhaps its time to change a zorbit pack hahahah

How do you guys do it?

I was told to use the dehumidifier once a week for eight hours (which is what I do). And what about the rest of the week? Do you place silica gel, Thirsty Hippo in the case?

Thanks for your response. I use Zorbit too but I find they don't really work as well. Still, we need to put something in our guitar case, and I would rank them in order of effectiveness.
1. Thirsty hippo
2. Silica gel
3. Zorbit

As a newcomer to Singapore, every day is an education and the latest lesson is finding that my lovely new acoustic guitar is starting to bulge - worryingly quickly.

So this is useful info. Any other tips? I guess that keeping the guitar in its case when not being played is a must. And using an electric dehumidifier - am I right in saying that it should go in a confined space with the dehumidifier?

As a newcomer to Singapore, every day is an education and the latest lesson is finding that my lovely new acoustic guitar is starting to bulge - worryingly quickly.

So this is useful info. Any other tips? I guess that keeping the guitar in its case when not being played is a must. And using an electric dehumidifier - am I right in saying that it should go in a confined space with the dehumidifier?

Yeah, the humidity here is brutal. It's a good idea to keep your guitar in the case when not playing. I place Zorbit and silica gel in the case, and turn on an electric dehumidifier once a month. And yes, the smaller the room the better.

Welcome to Singapore!:)
Our local humidity (approx 80% RH) is indeed very unfriendly to acoustic guitars.
As mentioned by the others, it is best to keep guitars in their cases with drying agent packs .
One very common mistake is leaving the guitar on a stand with the aircon switched on and thereafter opening the windows allowing humid air to condense on the guitar.
To use a dehumidifier effectively, the guitars should be placed in an enclosed area and room RH monitored with a hygrometer at 50%.
Hope that helps.

Back