Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing the Blues

User Info Menu

You know... been reading a lot on several forums, and on a forum with a higher older age (>) group, there are some who liken SRV is to blues what Malmsteen is to metal. Over indulgence and repetition...

And some of their points are pretty valid... interesting points of contention there.

User Info Menu

Maybe that's the difference between blues and Texas blues. Certainly SRV palys faster and more notes than older blues men, but the structure is similar. Muddy Waters, for example, was a very tasteful blues guitarist without playing fast or even playing many notes. But my preference is Albert Collins, almost a mix between SRv and the old bluesmen.

User Info Menu

i prefer clapton's older works from his Cream years, than to SRV's work. maybe its because i prefer old slower blues, stuff from B.B King, Muddy Waters, Louis Armstrong and this blind guy who i forgot his name.
    RG370DX

Boss HM-2

DOD Supra Distortion
    J&H

DE7

Stubbies

User Info Menu

well different artist express their music differently...some need a lot more notes (SRV)to say something, well others do it with juz a few notes (BB King)
    What is important is whether they do with passion that we can relate to.

User Info Menu

Anyone here dig Robert Johnson?

User Info Menu

SoulJah: Joe Bonamassa is da bomb!

Anyway a SRV fan here, i agree he is not the definitive blues artiste to listen to. Blues has it's many diff styles too, take a look at guys like B.B. King? Robben Ford? KWS?

JM3 is real good, not really a blues outfit but mayer is impressive even though he didn't finish his term in Berklee. Coincidentally, he was under Tomo Fujita's tutelage so in many ways you can hear the similarity of how he approaches the music like his mentor. Of course with the big influence of SRV and many others, i thoroughly enjoyed Try!. 1 of the best buys for me recently

User Info Menu

any guitar player with the last name "KING" is great blues player :lol:

User Info Menu

^^ true that, King is a great last name

a possibly inaccurate quote from a random memorable movie, applicable in this case- "i dont play with accuracy, but rather brilliant expression"

User Info Menu

To enjoy playing the blues, you need:
    1. A cup of coffee
    2. A battering old acoustic

Now play your heart out......

Well I can understand why SRV, Clapton, Hendrix are the first few names to pop up when blues is mentioned in a guitar forum, but I'm still with the old school...

Albert Collins has got great lines and phrasing. The 3 Kings each has something special that everyone can learn. Buddy Guy is perhaps the closest link to the 3 mentioned above.

If you really want to explore more than just guitar notes and playing licks, lines, riffs etc then you have to listen to the singers. People like Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker are a good place to start. Blues is essentially a vocal music form, and just learning the guitar parts of blues without absorbing some of the essence of these guys will only make you good at playing what other people played, not playing something from your own imagination. Of course you still have to learn solos note for note and all that, the hard work is "horse no run", but you have to do something else with whatever you've learnt.

The goal you should aim for is to be able to sing out a line in your head and repeat it on the guitar.

Acoustic blues like Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins are a different game altogether, but still very much worth going into. IMHO, it's the way to really understand where the blues came from and how it should be played.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast