Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Refinishing your drumset! (getting an awesome natural finish DIY)

User Info Menu

great article!!

nice of you to post this! the finishing looks so beautiful now...

User Info Menu

What a beauty!

Great job!

User Info Menu

Very very nice work. Looks very expensive now. Haha.

User Info Menu

If you've been on the pdf have you seen cinematicsam's amazing refinishing job on his export? It is so beautiful.

Nice job, the wood grain is actually pretty nice. I say this because I have a piano black target too, unfortunately with the bigger tom sizes, I might try to cut them down. How do you like the sound of your kit? I have actually been contemplating refinishing it for the longest time but it just seems like such a huge overhaul plus I wasn't sure if the wood grain would be any nicer to look at, how long did the whole thing take you?

Another thing was the black bass drum hoops, I never liked how it looked with natural finishes to be honest, so I decided not to refinish my kit.

Maybe you should get some wood hoops! (though it'll burn a hole in your pocket)

User Info Menu

Thanks for the positive comments! I hope this inspires others to do more DIY stuff around Singapore. When I can get access to tools, I hope I can also make my own drums, seeing a lot of people doing it online makes me want to do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by tim098 View Post
    This looks DAMN nice! That red looks so bloody and raw. Great job, I shall buy unlacqeured sticks and try this
    I posted a thread some time back about dyeing sticks. You should take a look. Someone advised me to get these sticks from Ranking Sports and Music from Bras Pasah. These are Vater "NUDE" sticks, doesn't have lacquer. Sanding off conventional sticks to be dyed take way too long, and I suspect will damage the stick.

The nice thing about the dye is that since it penetrates inside, even when the stick chips, there's still red underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
    Kick ass!

The bass drum hoops are ... Heh..

Me likey your snare collection.
    Hahaha bass drum hoops I was intending to get wood hoops but, it was not easily available in Singapore and too expensive. The black looks fine, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by beboptang View Post
    Great work! The drums look great!

I like your guzheng in the corner
    Haha that's actually my principal instrument, drums is a very expensive "hobby" since I don't really take lessons or gig seriously with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jukebox View Post
    If you've been on the pdf have you seen cinematicsam's amazing refinishing job on his export? It is so beautiful.

Nice job, the wood grain is actually pretty nice. I say this because I have a piano black target too, unfortunately with the bigger tom sizes, I might try to cut them down. How do you like the sound of your kit? I have actually been contemplating refinishing it for the longest time but it just seems like such a huge overhaul plus I wasn't sure if the wood grain would be any nicer to look at, how long did the whole thing take you?

Another thing was the black bass drum hoops, I never liked how it looked with natural finishes to be honest, so I decided not to refinish my kit.

Maybe you should get some wood hoops! (though it'll burn a hole in your pocket)
    Yeah, he's one of those who inspired me to do it. Actually, you should go look around for more information. This is just how I did mine, but there's many other ways you can use. And my finish isn't as perfect as I would like it to be, because I can't find superfine sandpaper to polish it after everythin's over.

It took me just under two weeks to do it. But that's because I was busy. If you work on it everyday, you can spend one to two days dismantling and polishing, one day dyeing, one day lacquering, wait for it to dry, then put it back together. Considering your larger sizes... lemme guess, is it the 12-13-16-22 configuration? I recently got 13, 16 and 22 from a friend, and refinished them to match. Took me a week to do those three.

Of course, if you have the time, you should always spend more time/effort on it!

The sound is okay I guess. With good heads, it's not bad. But it's not amazing either. When you hear good drums you really feel good playing them. This one, when I play it, I just don't feel bad.

Hahahaha forget the wood hoops, man. Ordering it will cost almost 200!

User Info Menu

Does this affect the overall sounding of your drums (without the wrap)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Does this affect the overall sounding of your drums (without the wrap)?
    I changed heads right after, since I didn't really like the sound before that. I'm satisfied with the sound now. It may be due to heads, or it may be due to the wrap removal.

Hmm but I noticed that my bearing edge already had some nicks, and true, there's some annoying ringing here and there which I put down to those.

User Info Menu

Good lookin refinish job!
    those lugs look much better on the woodgrain finish.
    If you've got annoying ringing you could try waxing or even using good old vaseline on the bearing edges. the magical C&C method. gives better contact between the head and the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Composer of Requiems View Post
    Hahahaha forget the wood hoops, man. Ordering it will cost almost 200!
    i think they're only $35-40US or something like that at drummaker.com or drumfoundry.com.
    you could dye them to match the kit
    shouldn't be tooooo much to ship either.... i'm guessing it'd be around the same or little cheaper than to get them to australia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by malmbas View Post
    Good lookin refinish job!
    those lugs look much better on the woodgrain finish.
    If you've got annoying ringing you could try waxing or even using good old vaseline on the bearing edges. the magical C&C method. gives better contact between the head and the edges.

i think they're only $35-40US or something like that at drummaker.com or drumfoundry.com.
    you could dye them to match the kit
    shouldn't be tooooo much to ship either.... i'm guessing it'd be around the same or little cheaper than to get them to australia
    I don't really know how to use wood filler, so I'm staying away from it for now. Anyway, the way I see it is that with so many toms close to each other in a small room, even if I have nice edges, the resonance is going to set up a lot of overtones anyway.

Hmm okay, say one hoop is about US$40, two will be US$80 and they quoted me around another US$50 or so for shipping if I remember correctly. When converted, that's close to S$200. That's what I mean by 200, in Singapore currency...

User Info Menu

I'll Sticky this one...good job ThreadStarter
    Your Soft's Friendliest Moderator ! - Or Maybe Not ?
    http://www.facebook.com/RudimentalDrummer

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast