Thread: Squier Jazz Bass *standard series*

User Info Menu

Squier Jazz Bass *standard series*

List Price: $513; Swee Lee
    Body: Agathis
    Neck: Maple, C-Shape, (Polyurethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo
    Pickups: 2 Single-Coil Jazz Bass Pickups (Mid & Bridge)
    Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
    Pickup Switching: None
    Bridge: Standard 4-Saddle
    Machine Heads: Standard Open-Gear Tuners
    Hardware: Chrome
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width at Nut: 1.50” (38 mm)

Features
    The Squier Standard Jazz Bass features many Fender Jazz Bass appointments, including an offset-waist body, ultra-slim fast-action neck and full-range bi-pole pickups. Nothing fanciful etc. Crafted in Indonesia. Probably a 2006 instrument.

Sound
    Like what many international reviewer has said, if you swapped out the stock pickups for seymour duncan's basslines, DiMarzio or Nordstrand pickups and add in the LeoQuan BadAssII bridge this piece of axe would sound like a beast. With added clarity, sustain etc. The stock pickups though claimed by Fender to be "upgraded alnico pickups" it wasn't as good as I thought. Hence swapped it out for basslines immediately after purchasing it.

Action, Fit & Finish
    The factory action was high as hell and not playable. Had to get the guy at the counter to lower the action for me before I could test it out properly. The finish is pretty good and I would say it's beautiful. The intonation is pretty good as well. No problems with it. Tuning does not run. Overall, perfect.

Reliability & Durability
    Within a week that I got it, I played a live gig with it. Even with all the heavy beating I give it, it still stays in tune and works like gem. It pretty reliable and the end pins are sturdy as hell.

Impression
    Overall, I loved this bass but would be looking at Fender basses once I have saved enough KA-CHING! This bass is great for it's price. You can't ask too much when you pay about 500bucks for a bass.

Ratings
    Playability: 85%
    Tone: 85%
    Overall: 90%

What i liked about the bass
    looks
    tone
    finishes
    weight
    colour [ I'm a sucker for red basses! =X ]

What i didn't fancy much
    stock pickups
    Last edited by emptyspaces; 25-08-08 at 01:28 PM.
    -
    Wanna save the world? You gotta save the BASSISTS first!

User Info Menu

Sweet bass!

User Info Menu

I played several Squier basses and I must say there's something really nice about these basses. Play great, sound great, very comfortable to play, etc. I might not have a high opinion on Squier but their basses are exempt. They're more than decent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kerplunk182 View Post
    Sweet bass!
    AGREED!

EugeneSmasher;
    yea, besides the basses ain't really overpriced.
    and it still gives you a great sound. (:
    -

User Info Menu

Very Awesome bass,

CHECK OUT OLIGARCHY ON SOFT TV!http://youtu.be/yEV8FH25L0k
    Oligarchy's FB page - www.facebook.com/oligarchyonline
    Oligarchy's Music412 page - www.music412.com/oligarchy/

User Info Menu

i am using the same bass...wow...its really good compare with my other previous bass..the size and the weight is amazing..i find this bass is very convenient for bassist who ride bike..like myself..woohoo...go grab them...
    Eagle fly free!!! Together we will fly someday!! yeah...
    http://www.myspace.com/onceuponatimesg

User Info Menu

Hey..Hi Bro, just wanted to ask about Modifications, (like some of us) they do really like/love modifying their bass, using On Board Pre Amps, is the J retro or any O.B.P.A. fits this baby? i heard only fender usa is applicable for those type of mods. (not sure actually) thanks... Peace....Enjoy...

User Info Menu

This is a great budget bass! what's even more amazing about it is that a more fair price to pay for this would be $350!
    God rocks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Hey..Hi Bro, just wanted to ask about Modifications, (like some of us) they do really like/love modifying their bass, using On Board Pre Amps, is the J retro or any O.B.P.A. fits this baby? i heard only fender usa is applicable for those type of mods. (not sure actually) thanks... Peace....Enjoy...
    I believe those stuffs that you wanna add on, is gonna go into the cavity? if there's not enough space in the cavity, the guitar tech might have to dig a new cavity to fit those in? I recommend that you check with Beez or KC regarding such mods.

Cheers!
    -