Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music-themed Films

User Info Menu

i missed August Rush.
    i'm ashamed to call myself a JMR fan.
    *bows head*

User Info Menu

August Rush was pretty mediocre as far as films go, you're better off watching Once

some other good choices:
    24 hour Party People
    la vie en rose (edith piaffffff)
    I'm Not There
    Walk The Line
    les chansons d'amour (a lovely musical set in paris)
    Dave Chappelle's Block Party (makes me have a new love for dead prez and live hip hop)
    Joe Strummer: The future is unwritten (for fans of the Clash)
    Dancer in the Dark (bjork bjork bjork)
    Man in the Sand

also speaking of music themed documentaries, check out Before the Music Dies. it talks about the superficiality of the music scene, and how great music is always around, if you just know how to find it.

postu-rockz fans should enjoy watching Mogwai: The Making or Mr Beast as well

edit: oops i just read the 'fictional' part, please ignore those films I mentioned that don't apply then
    Last edited by dir; 15-07-08 at 02:47 PM.

User Info Menu

oops i just read the 'fictional' part, please ignore those films I mentioned that don't apply then

too late, dir, we are way passed that now
    will update list on page 1 with your suggestions later.
    biopic on edith piaf is good.

User Info Menu

i wanted to watch August Rush simply 'cuz of yummylicious Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
    since the movie is mediocre, i'll just rent it.

User Info Menu

The hype! docu is great! Can contrast it with this month's mojo. One entire article on sub pop.

Don't forget the rather great tour film depeche mode 101. And decline of the western civilisation 1,2 & 3.

Or get rich or die trying, and 8 mile. And the rather awesome Scary Movie 3.

User Info Menu

Add up "Screaming Masterpiece"! Absolutely nuts about that one

User Info Menu

If Iceland (population 300,000) can make so much music, what does it show Singapore?

edit: context of this remark is sage's suggestion, "Screaming Masterpiece" - a docu on the Icelandic music scene (Sugarcubes, Sigur Ros, etc)
    Last edited by betsybug; 16-07-08 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

OOh Once! How could I forget. Really sweet show, if it doesn't melt your heart you're a cynic beyind redemption...plus the Frames are an excellent band, it's great that they (or Glen Hansard at least) finally got the recognition long deserved.

I'm Not There was kinda painful to sit through for most of it. The Bob Dylan pisstake segment on Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox story - now that's better!

User Info Menu

it shows we have a long way to go

but then we have singapore gaga and loads of other indie stuff waiting to be discovered from within and not look outside of singaland for inspirations. Imho
    __ __ ---- __ ____ ----__ ......:::_ ----**___ ------______ ____---==+>> * __--- ....;:;:;:.,,... --_____ '"""""----___.><'"":::;;_ __ _ __ __----===-_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __---------:::::-------[

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by betsybug View Post
    If Iceland (population 300,000) can make so much music, what does it show Singapore?
    That if we were living in a place with sub zero degree temperature and ice floes and the occasional polar bear swimming over, maybe we'd be more creative and write elf songs about birthdays and motorcycles? No worries, things will start to look up when the next ice age comes around!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast