I wanna know how a band should sound like in the jamming studio
    must vox bu the loudest among all?
    followed by guitar
    bass
    and drums ?
    how is the settings of instruments supposed to be volume wise
    thx

User Info Menu

bass and drums softest (unless your drummer hits like a wimp) <- these are usually the easily loudest instruments.
    then guitar
    then vocals.

the bass must not be too bassy to drown the drums-kick
    the bass must be "middish/trebly" enough to cut through the guitars but not drown the vocals.
    the guitar must not be too loud to drown the vocals and allow the bass's mids and the drums-kick to hear the attack (then again if still too hard to achieve, your drummer may be hitting the kick too soft.)
    then the vocals must cut through all.get your vocalist to face the vocal PA speaker (to hear himself) but stand away from it to avoid feedback.

the vocalist try avoid wrapping your hand around the mic grill as usually that creates feedback. bring your own mic sponge filter for hygiene. if feedback keeps occuring, learn how to play with the jamming mixer's EQ. if feedback doesn't occur much, don't mess with the mixer, usually it irritates the jam studio owner.

if you're recording your jam session with an MD / mic etc. place it facing half the vocal amp/half guitar amp and abit close to the drums (but don't put it on the floor to pick up the kick, recording will distort easily, more on snare height) and away from the bass (usually bass will naturally be picked up)

my... 2000-2001 experience + kicked out of aljunied weelee a few times worth.
    [Check out the stuff I put up for sale starting from Free/$1 !]
    [BluePrintStudios.Org] Freelance Services : [A]udio / [V]ideo / [P]hoto / [C]omputer

User Info Menu

thx. this should i bet!

User Info Menu

let me know if it works for you,then I can request as a sticky thread.
    [BluePrintStudios.Org] Freelance Services : [A]udio / [V]ideo / [P]hoto / [C]omputer

User Info Menu

I'm jamming this week. i'll post whether it works.=)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blueprintstudios View Post
    if feedback doesn't occur much, don't mess with the mixer, usually it irritates the jam studio owner.
    Lol!
    Anyways good tips bro.. Will help all those out there who are new to jamming!

I got one tip.. Louder doesn't mean better! There are times you have to turn down the volume to achieve a balance between the instruments..
    And guitarists shouldn't scoop their tones.. You're the "mid-range" provider.. Killing off these frequencies will make you useless in a live situation.. Scooped tones are only practical in recording directly to a com or something..

User Info Menu

ah yes,how could i have missed out, louder does not mean better. if the cymbals and distortion guitars are too much for your vocalist to practise his/her jam despite bringing down the volumes already. then ask him/her to buy a pair of earplugs,that usually filters out the distortion guitars / cymbals and he'll be able to hear guitars/bass/drums + own vox clearly,bring up the vocal mic volume from there.

earplugs almost acts as a "mid-midhighs-highs" EQ down kinda thingy. and most impt, prevent your grand children from doing the
    kid:"hi gramps"
    you(old): "...."
    kid:"GRAMPS!"
    you : "HAR?"
    kid: HAR LAMPAH!!!

on you heh.a.k.a hearing loss.

if you got more money than buying earplugs, you can go to hungbrothers at simlim sq , buy one of those "Rolls" personal monitor. then you'll be able to hear your own vocals and increase the gain without feedback in the comfort of your own world via headphones.

User Info Menu

problem is the acoustic volumes for drums... =( my drummer too chor lor liao, lol.
    ESP Forest Copy guitar with floyd rose and tesla pickups here :::> http://soft.com.sg/forum/guitar-buy-...pups-pics.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Godspeed64 View Post
    And guitarists shouldn't scoop their tones.. You're the "mid-range" provider.. Killing off these frequencies will make you useless in a live situation.. Scooped tones are only practical in recording directly to a com or something..
    Liddat means you're either Steve Vai, Satch, Malmsteem or Paul Gilbert liao lah... Haha when vocals are singing away u go try "provide" mids see what happens!

Guitarist should scoop mids for sustainin/background rhythm, only the leads/fills should pump mids but be modest about it unless its a full fledge solo!

User Info Menu

Really meh? I used to like scooped tones but they are hell inaudible in live situations..
    Pumping the mids is important IMO.. Afraid you'd drown out the vox?
    That's why it's important to strike a balance..
    Vocals should always be the loudest in the mix, followed by the lead guitarist (if it is intended to be loud)..

This has worked for me, perhaps the opposite may have worked for you instead.. :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast