Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tidying up your cables

User Info Menu

Tidying up your cables

With so many equipments running all over your recording set up (not to mention cables from your computer sytem), how do YOU keep your cables neat?

Just a curious question cos I am having this unsightly problem right now. I know that there are cable ties available, but it is a hassle for me to untie and tie them up again as I am currently building my set up (constantly adding things hence introducing new cables to take care of :?).

Pictures would be great!
    Silence is an option. Not an absolute. - MIME Unit

User Info Menu

well for a start, I always have a standard

1) 7 XLR cables bunched together like a snake cable : "L cymbals,snare,kick,tom,tom,tom,R cymbals". I actually write numbers on the "XLR head" with a zebra marker. like "1" on the female and "1" on the male.. then "2"..."2" .. "3".... "3.".. etc etc

2) then the standard 3 1/4jack cables bunched together "L guitar,R guitar,Bass"

then the vocal mic Rode NTK I bought a small XLR cable to put along with it so I don't miss out.

then I have another category and that's "instrument microphones" either for 1) or 2)

and finally a small bag with all the spare parts , 1 1/4jack cable, 1 XLR cable , 1 pair of behringer mics. and 1 IEC power cable. and err loads of adapters. and a power socket extension.I do mobile recording which means I setup and tear down the "studio" upon every session, and there's no room for "oops, I forgot to bring this" errors. haha.

hope this helps.

P.S : hey THOA, don't mind me link this post to my recording FAQ thread.
    Last edited by blueprintstudios; 16-10-07 at 10:34 AM.
    [Check out the stuff I put up for sale starting from Free/$1 !]
    [BluePrintStudios.Org] Freelance Services : [A]udio / [V]ideo / [P]hoto / [C]omputer

User Info Menu

Bunching all the "like" cables together. Ooooh, that IS an idea!

And sure! Link away 8)

Any other suggestions? *takes pen and pad and starts jotting down*
    Silence is an option. Not an absolute. - MIME Unit

User Info Menu

haha no probs.. well so far this's the only idea that works best for me. does anyone know how to roll up cables without them curling/tangling? I got one method which ironically a kid way younger than I am taught me. but it works about 60% - 70% of the time only.(which is good enough so far but y'know it'll be nice if there's a better way) , live sound guys would know more about "being organised"
    [BluePrintStudios.Org] Freelance Services : [A]udio / [V]ideo / [P]hoto / [C]omputer

User Info Menu

hi..
    feel that blueprintstudios's method is best....if using outboards.. inserts,aux sends n returns..can definitely use the same grouping method...
    on the other hand for recording...maybe having a stagebox(multicore) permanently inserted to the mixer channels and of cos labelling them mite work....then when wanna record...just use stagebox...and all need money...
    all the best..
    a passion long overdue ought to be pursued

User Info Menu

There is one really professional method. But it's a lot of hardwork...
    Trunk the cables on the wall, make a cannon or instrument cable interface different walls. Then jack in each mic cable to your mics. Position the interface to where is closest to your common recording areas.
    On the other side, another interface comes out and get's connected to your interface. Label each cable point by number.
    It's a very tedious method that involves drilling, soldering cables etc, but this is how pro studios do it. That's why you can't see the cables. I was planning on doing this, but since i'm moving out soon, it's pointless.
    Calvin Nam, Music Producer, Parablue Studios
    http://www.facebook.com/ParablueStudios
    www.reverbnation.com/shixian

User Info Menu

sounds like a hell load of unnecessary spending but no doubt the spending comes with professional image.

User Info Menu

Or...we wait for the day to come when everything becomes wireless.

User Info Menu

yeah I ever thought about wireless recording for drums. but it's kind of expensive to buy them (can get decent condensers/preamps) , and imagine that 9V battery galore. it'll cost you 1 9V battery per hour.

looks like this isn't going to be possible for a long time. hahah. they gotta invent lifetime lasting batteries first.

User Info Menu

apart from labelling the cables , i use velcro ...to group the cables..

the velcro normally use for network cabling ...
    or u can try heatshrink tubing to group them..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast