Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Silent' Studio: A new jamming experience at library@esplanade

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blueprintstudios View Post
    the other thing is, I thought Jamhub mixer had its own cab simulation, so it really is just a pure direct input mixer which is pretty pointless for the guitarist and bassist because for those who are familiar with DIed raw sounds, it really is as raw as salmon sushi. those expecting smoked or deepfried will be disappointed.
    It has simulation of the size of the venue which is applied to the final mix. There is no controls for individual inputs (other than volume), as far as I could tell.

User Info Menu

arsie : so if they don't have any distortion pedals, jamhub doesn't simulate distortion/gain. if they do have something like a Boss DS-1, it's gonna be all fuzzy?
    [Check out the stuff I put up for sale starting from Free/$1 !]
    [BluePrintStudios.Org] Freelance Services : [A]udio / [V]ideo / [P]hoto / [C]omputer

User Info Menu

haha i would think so. really need something like vox amplug, behringer GDI or any of the 101 multi effects to get some sort of cab simulation / modelling thing between guitar to input.

User Info Menu

For guitar/bass, best to use a multi-efx board that will output a nice signal into the Jamhub.

User Info Menu

Just went to try the studio out today, pretty cool experience, had a blast even though there were a couple of things that could be improved on.

So here's my review (I've actually brought my laptop and a webcam to record the session but my video capturing software messed up! ARGH damn pissed! Will definitely get the next session down if possible)

Ok so its just 3 of us, 2 guitars and a drummer, we are using just 1 Pod X3 live into the Jamhub mixer, using the Gibsons there.

The Studio
    The room is looks pretty spacious in the photos but it is actually very "cramped" due to a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the Jamhub is located in the middle of the room with chairs and music stands surrounding it. The Jamhub is fully connected (mics, instrument cables and headphones out on every channel) and this is one heck of a mess due to all the frakking cables tangling around.

The headphone cables can be a little short and it might end up being in the way of your guitar unless you sit facing away from the Jamhub. Another thing to take note is that the headphones are not labeled, but they should be hanging on the music stands which is labeled according to which channel they belong to, but apparently its kinda messed up so you have to trace the cable to the various channel.

Guitars (Gibsons + Epiphones)
    Theres a Gibson SG Goddess and a semi-hollow electric there. Did not try the Epiphone acoustics there though.

I played the semi-hollow Gibson there and all I can say is that the playing condition is pretty bad! The strings are sticky as hell, which makes it extremely hard to play. Oh, I happen to broke the high E string while tuning it (someone wounded the string in the wrong direction at the tuning heads), apologies for that so do remember to bring your guitar along!

However this wasn't the case for the SG there, that one is in a better condish and both guitars actually sound decent (I liked the SG more though!) Also do note that the guitars don't come with strap and this pose as a big hassle when you have to keep standing up to adjust the mix on the Jamhub, then sit down, play something and then mix again.

Drums

My drummer complaint that the kit was rather small and it was rather awkward to play around and try to trigger the different sounds from the ride properly. He was using a double pedal on the kick trigger, so yeah you can bring one and use it there. The drum mix was kinda soft even though we had the levels on the modules maxed (perhaps we're not doing it right)

Sound

Ok this is where things get better, the sound quality is just awesome . It was awesome to be able to hear yourself and other so clearly in the headphones (the one i was using was a Audio Technica M50). This is something that cannot be achieved in normal jamming studios and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the jam session (although I played like crap). We had the guitars panned about 70% apart, and we set the levels of others using our very own mixer in our particular channel.

Recording
    There's USB connectivity and an option to record onto a SD card. I had no idea on how to adjust the levels for the output through USB. It was constantly maxed out in the control panel. Oh, bring your own USB cable cause they don't supply one there. After plugging in, it should install itself automatically and you will be able to see a new device under control panel>sound>recording. Weird thing is that this recording device has only 1 channel according to the properties.

In conclusion, if your guitarist has a good modelling unit, you're in for a treat. Sound quality is amazing and being to monitor yourself so clearly is clearly a good experience! I will definitely go back and jam there again, 1 hour might not be enough as you'll probably spent more than 10mins setting things up. I spent around 13mins setting up the pod, guitars and my laptop+Webcam.

This isn't a good review as we did not have a bassist or vocalist with us, we just played a couple of songs instrumentally.

Edit: this is the USB cable that you'll need, get something thats pretty long or you'll have no space to put your laptop.
    Youtube Channel,Soundcloud Page!
    |recording|mixing|mastering|videography|
    Aeonix Productions

User Info Menu

So basically, bring your own guitar, effects, and something to record, and it's pretty much the cheapest place you can sit around and do some songwriting or simple jams at. I'll be trying it soon.

About setting the levels on the USB out: http://www.jamhub.com/community/foru....php?f=5&t=318

User Info Menu

yep, and you get to have great drum sounds from the e-kit.

I'm still not getting the USB levels thing after reading a couple of threads, I remember having all of the knobs on the R section turned to 0 and its still too hot, I might be doing something wrong though.

Do record some clips when if you're to try it out
    Youtube Channel,Soundcloud Page!
    |recording|mixing|mastering|videography|
    Aeonix Productions

User Info Menu

haha yea i figured it should be quite awesome. during dream theater's audition for new drummer, a system similar to this was used. i'm pretty certain this is how they do their normal jam sessions too. only diff is a real acoustic drum is mic'ed up and petrucci was using an axe-fx ultra.

User Info Menu

By similar system you mean they all have personalised mixes going to their IEMs? :P

User Info Menu

haha, ok, maybe one step higher than this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast