Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to get fit by January...any tips to get me started?

User Info Menu

Trying to get fit by January...any tips to get me started?

Hi guys, my NS is coming in a few months and NAPFA is in January...any tips on how to get me started on regular exercise? My problem is always establishing a routine...any tips on that?

User Info Menu

Join a sport that requires physical strength.That way you can develop a love for that sport and keep fit at the same time.

I did so by joining a dragonboat team.The sport is sure to make you fit.

User Info Menu

Dragonboat is too time consuming, if you ask me. Depending on where you are from, if you were in poly, get used to the habit of hitting the gym 3 times a week and do lots of cardio and compound exercises. IPPT IS easy to train for, you just have to be the type who trains progressively and constantly.

User Info Menu

Well thats why it keeps you fit.The sports main objective is to train up the rowers.Tell you the truth,gyming alone wont do much help.You must at least get active in a sport that requires you to use various muscle groups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by growlingsoulpup View Post
    My problem is always establishing a routine...any tips on that?
    That means you're weak in discipline? Then no matter how people here suggest, you'll never really get fit. Doing sports is a great way of keeping fit, but not getting fit.

The best way is to hit the gym, and concentrate on your crunches, stretching, running and pull ups.

OR, the highly recommended way is to FAIL your NAPFA, and go for the PTP training in the army. THAT will get you fit for BMT, and you'll find BMT very relaxing after that...

Trust me. I speak from experience...
    Lionel
    www.soundclick.com/demioblue
    "Whether I'm a good guitarist or not depends on who's listening"

Enjoy life before u get into NS. Life will never be the same again after that. No, it's not the same even after you get out.
    虎穴に入らずんば虎児を得ず!
    http://theguitarotakucomplex.blogspot.com/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whitestrat View Post
    That means you're weak in discipline? Then no matter how people here suggest, you'll never really get fit. Doing sports is a great way of keeping fit, but not getting fit.

The best way is to hit the gym, and concentrate on your crunches, stretching, running and pull ups.

OR, the highly recommended way is to FAIL your NAPFA, and go for the PTP training in the army. THAT will get you fit for BMT, and you'll find BMT very relaxing after that...

Trust me. I speak from experience...
    Haha, yes I'll admit that when it comes to physical fitness I'm a big-time slacker. Problem is that I'm not very fit so whenever I start on a routine I get easily worn out, and I tend to give up easily. Which becomes a vicious cycle...do you guys have any tips for overcoming this? How to "pyscho" myself etc? Hahah.

My current job involves quite demanding hours so I was hoping for a sport that wouldn't be too time-consuming, or can only be done at certain places. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

"gyming alone won't help you much"

I achieved 11 chin ups from never imagining I could even do 1 in the space of a few months. Since you're a dragonboater I won't argue much, as I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you know your stuff. But if you can hit the gym consistently, and do both running and weights, you can do well for your Napfa. The only problem I had was that I scored silver for all the stations, but my 2.4 was TERRIBLE because I never did any cardio especially in the form of running during my poly days.

Maybe the TS can explain what stations you have problems in? For 2.4, all I have to say is, just keep timing yourself, and try to run further than 2.4, say 5km or so. This will improve your cardio tremendously, if you totally don't do any running at all, like how I was pre-Army. For chin ups, I figured there was only 1 way I could do them(I was skinny back then), I had to add muscle to my arms and back, and weight training, and ONLY weight training helped me in that. I don't see how you can improve in chin ups much if you are hitting 0 everytime you mount the bar unless you are fat(get lighter) or not strong enough(get stronger).

For SBJ, I'm just pretty natural so that and sit ups for me were the easiest.

Anyway, the current system makes you ORD same time as the enhanced batch, so it's not as bad as me who ORDed 1 month after my enhanced peers(makes a BIG difference if you are in my unit). I don't regret going to PTP though, although I feel that many enhanced batch soldiers were even worst off in fitness than me when I first entered army(I was a BMT instructor). The only problem most recruits face is mostly chin ups and SBJ. For chin ups, don't wait till you enter the army. Trust me on this, you will enjoy more early book outs and late book ins just because your chin up is a pass. FACT: Army training does NOT help with pull ups much, even if you do every training with 100% effort, you will not improve your pull ups much there.

User Info Menu

For chin up can buy those chin up bar that can mount on narrow walls or doorway. If you can do at least 1, definitely can improve if you train regularly.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking my main problems will be with 2.4 and pull ups like you mentioned, so thanks for the advice. I'm not so sure about the sit-ups and sit-and-reach: I have a back condition that acts up randomly. If it does I can't do any at all. If it doesn't, I can get gold for both easily. SBJ is also no problem.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast