Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing my Guitar to Australia

User Info Menu

1) Take SQ
    2) Invest hardcase with locks
    3) loosen your strings.
    4) Paste lotsa fragile stickers
    5) Be nice to the check-in counter people.
    6) Profit.

Too bad sg airports dun offer wrapping services anymore. It would help in protecting your hardcase from rough handlings.

User Info Menu

I've carried my guitar in a soft-carrier "guitar bag" when I travelled on SQ. Even so, no problem at all.
    Last edited by JunAD; 18-02-10 at 12:26 AM.

User Info Menu

* deleted *
    Last edited by JunAD; 18-02-10 at 12:25 AM. Reason: double post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wifiabc View Post
    Was that SIA?
    Nope. JAL. Strangely, when i was flying back from Fukuoka, Japan via SIA last year, they didn't allow me to bring my guitar onboard until much persuasion.

User Info Menu

sooo the australian's custom allows guitars to be brought in? heard some of them were sent back home. am curious!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by axzryie View Post
    sooo the australian's custom allows guitars to be brought in? heard some of them were sent back home. am curious!
    Depends on the wood of the guitar. Australian Quarantine (not customs) have a thing about wooden items being brought into the country. Usually they look at it and say it's fine, I've taken drumsticks originating both from Australia and Singapore through several times. The only chance of you being stopped might be if your guitar is a termite's nest or has some other evidence of insects living in it, in which case they're supposed to treat it and return it to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greatfox View Post
    Depends on the wood of the guitar. Australian Quarantine (not customs) have a thing about wooden items being brought into the country. Usually they look at it and say it's fine, I've taken drumsticks originating both from Australia and Singapore through several times. The only chance of you being stopped might be if your guitar is a termite's nest or has some other evidence of insects living in it, in which case they're supposed to treat it and return it to you.
    o really? cause from what i heard, it's different. you need to have permit or something to bring in guitars so yeah

User Info Menu

sidenote about shipping if you ever considered it: aussie's shipping restrictions are really... erm.. strict... so i guess u can cancel that outta your options list.. handcarry would be better
    Visit our website:Boutique Guitar Loft
    Click on 'Like' to follow us on Facebook
    Authorised Dealer: Dean Gordon,Hartung,Malinoski,Paoletti,Ruokangas;Wild Horse Strings

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by axzryie View Post
    o really? cause from what i heard, it's different. you need to have permit or something to bring in guitars so yeah

I brought my semi-hollow ES335 to Melbourne via Qantas. Check in with hardcase. It has a separate belt for bulky items. Came through unscathed. Declared it at the customs cos' of the wood thingy. The Custom guy opened up the case and take a quick glance at the guitar. Closed back in 10 secs and out of airport. No problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12