Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Bennett AV-1 neckjoint

User Info Menu

Greg Bennett AV-1 neckjoint

Hey people, I'm seeking clarification on the neckjoint of the AV-1 because according to the website, it is a set-neck, but there's a picture on the net and it appears to be a bolt-on with back-plate. So, I kinda need clarification for this.

Why I am asking is because I am planning to get my backup electric (it might become my main one if it turns out nicer than my Ibanez) and I'm preferring a set-neck. There is a high-chance of performing in June and I don't intend to go up without a backup guitar. Another model I'm considering is the TR-1 which I have tried before and found to be very nice.

So yeah, need some insight on these two models. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have an Av-1 which i bought in 2007. Its a bolt-on.

User Info Menu

Hmmm... Unless maybe the 2009 pieces onwards have set-necks. I think for the safe side, I'll go for the TR-1 then. I don't have anything against bolt-on necks but I'll feel more secure with a set-neck. What's your impression of your AV-1?

User Info Menu

I kinda get what you mean by feeling more secure with set necks. But your Ibanez is bolt-on, yes? Isit giving you any problems?

Personally I feel that set-necks are like.. I dunno... neither here nor there. I rather go all out neck through. That's just me, though.

User Info Menu

My Ibanez isn't giving me problems actually. It's just that since it doesn't have a backplate (most Ibanezs don't. I don't know why) so I worry about the screws eating into the wood over time. So yeah, I guess it's more about how secure it feels that I prefer set-necks and neck-thrus. But if the AV-1 has a backplate, I also feel more secure because the backplate prevents the screws from eating into the wood if they're well-drilled.

Also, anyone knows the retail price and the possible secondhand price range of the AV-3?
    Last edited by EugeneSmasher; 14-03-09 at 12:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneSmasher View Post
    My Ibanez isn't giving me problems actually. It's just that since it doesn't have a backplate (most Ibanezs don't. I don't know why) so I worry about the screws eating into the wood over time.
    Ah... I see, I see. You're afraid that the tarnished screws will cause some defect to the wood and make the joint unstable in the long run.

I never tried Greg Bennetts, but I'm definitely liking the look of the TR-1.
    Last edited by THOA; 14-03-09 at 12:20 AM.

User Info Menu

IMHO, gibson'ish guitars gotta be set neck and fender'ish guitars gotta be bolt on. Its just like that lah...
    Om Laboratories @ ZenGuitarwerkz - Mrmisse - Tymusic
    Sound samples availableHERE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneSmasher View Post
    Hmmm... Unless maybe the 2009 pieces onwards have set-necks. I think for the safe side, I'll go for the TR-1 then. I don't have anything against bolt-on necks but I'll feel more secure with a set-neck. What's your impression of your AV-1?
    Its a very good sounding and playable guitar for its price, bought mine for $250. It sounds better than my RG which is three times its price.

Nice hardware, Duncan Designed pickups and the machine heads are pretty good Grover ones. The only flaw was a loose jack. It does have a backplate.

If i were you i'd get the Av-1.

Btw, the frets are not jumbo ones and they may need some getting used to if you've been playing with big frets.
    Last edited by asdq; 15-03-09 at 12:36 AM. Reason: the frets not jumbo, forgot about that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edder View Post
    IMHO, gibson'ish guitars gotta be set neck and fender'ish guitars gotta be bolt on. Its just like that lah...
    WHO SEZ! Where's the corny looking bolt on Les Paul... Wait I think I just proved your point.
    http://myspace.com/oshiego
    http://myspace.com/morganjohannlee
    Catapultam habeo, abite statim, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

User Info Menu

THOA: Yes, that's my worry. The screws aren't tarnished yet but they're taking a bit more tension than before since the bridge has been hardtailed and the strings are 10s. So my main worry is that the screws will eat into the wood. If so, perhaps both the body and the neck might have to be scrapped. Yup, I really like the TR-1, my friend's felt great and looked great too.

edder: Actually, I think hardtail bridge equipped guitars should have set-neck and tremolo equipped guitars should have bolt-ons, because hardtail bridges tend to have a little more tension on the neckjoint and neck. No tremolo to loosen the tension.

asdq: No worries about the frets. My Ibanez has medium frets actually. Sounds cool, now I gotta decide which one now.. Between the TR-1, FA-1 (humbucking tele) and AV-1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast