Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie here :D

User Info Menu

Newbie here :D

I'm new to this forum!

I've been playing acoustic guitar on my own for awhile, not very pro just average and i kinda lost interest in the guitar and music instruments on the whole.

Now i feel like trying out drums
    But from my air drumming, i can see my sense of rythm and coordination is freaking freaking bad.
    Like seriously bad, plus i'm already 19, wonder if i'm too old to try to learn another instrument.

Considering getting some sticks instead of using pencils -.-
    And a practice pad to try some uhh stuff, those rlrl stuff...

Should i do that first or get lessons?
    And being the noob i am, i'm afraid i will blur when the shop ppl ask me wad pad i want with all the drum-talk...
    "uhh, kotex pad?" -.-

User Info Menu

Kotex? nah whisper
    o wells. new drummer eh... air drumming... ive been playing long and i still do air drumming. u can get a drum pad if u want. think it retails for $40-$50 at yamaha. but i suggest get it second hand from is cheaper. say $20-$30? you also can get some stick thing which can be found in a container. u just bring it around, pour it out on a table and just start drumming on it. forget wads it called...
    Get drumsticks! the weight is different from a pencil. Anyway one on the average is $15. just get one which u like, taking in factors like the top of the drumsticks(acon,oval). tip depends on wad type of music u play. Also the weight of the drumsticks... 7A is the lighter ones while 5B are the heavier ones.. i think if i rmb correctly.
    19 aint too old in picking up drums. i took it up when i was 10. believe a 19 year old would understand instructions and language better than a 10 year old. performance wise, depends on the indiviudual.

Just like me. i prefer whisper, u prefer kotex pad.
    Right?

User Info Menu

Hi welcome to soft!

Retardedrummer, what pad nonsense you talking about?? hahahaa

Anyway I started drumming only last year, when I was 20! So age is just another number!
    I find air drumming good. I air drum alot; in the train, while waiting for my friend, at work etc - BUT I don't make myself look like a freak! I just move my thumbs and feet accordingly, not actually hitting the air.

Maybe you wanna go try out the drums first (jamming or whatever), play around with it before deciding on the lessons.
    I like Mondays

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Girlpants View Post
    Hi welcome to soft!

Retardedrummer, what pad nonsense you talking about?? hahahaa

Anyway I started drumming only last year, when I was 20! So age is just another number!
    I find air drumming good. I air drum alot; in the train, while waiting for my friend, at work etc - BUT I don't make myself look like a freak! I just move my thumbs and feet accordingly, not actually hitting the air.

Maybe you wanna go try out the drums first (jamming or whatever), play around with it before deciding on the lessons.
    wad pad? ilovegm started it first! haha he said kotex pad? lol. girlpants which pad? haha! o wells. i also airdrum in train.. i see ppl airguitar or airstrum. amazes me. haha.

User Info Menu

Yo! Welcome to the world of drumming!!

I started very late as compared to alot of my peers. I started mid-16 and did loads of air drumming for a year plus....practiced most of my rudiments on an office chair and pillow. I think age is really not a problem especially when you are only 19. If you really want it bad enough, you will do whatever it takes to catch up!

I think age only matters when you reach about my age....limbs do react a little slower than it used to, but still, if you spend enough time practicing, no reason why you can't continue to improve at my age....

Bottomline is....practice, practice, practice!!!! All the best!!
    Proudly endorsed by
    And Supported by Malmborg Drums
    http://www.themusiclab.com.sg

User Info Menu

Retardedrummer: No wonder your name is retarded. LOL

Alvin: Was wondering, does the drum throne play a very big role in drumming? As in the type of throne, the height etc?
    Cos mine is the normal round ones and my legs get a bit numb after a while...
    I like Mondays

User Info Menu

I got my sticks
    They're the heavier ones, cos i like it feeling solid.
    Bought from ranking for $12.
    Using a table tennnis bat for a practice pad -.-
    Surprisingly bouncy XD

Glad to noe tt i'm not too old to learn
    Lol, i used to airguitar, but in airguitar land, i change chords faster than steve vai and all the notes sound perfect...

I think i'm gonna commit myself to getting some of those rudimental things down first before i get lessons.
    What are they good for?

Btw, wads a throne?
    Last edited by ilovegm; 03-02-09 at 05:33 PM. Reason: missed out some points

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm still having problems with rudiments. LOL. So take your time and learn the basics slowly and solid-ly before moving on to the next step.
    Rudiments, tsk!

Btw, a throne, is actually a chair, commonly use for drumming. In drum language. LOL

If you have any questions, just fire them at the drums section, we'll be glad to help you out!
    I like Mondays

User Info Menu

Oops, i assumed rudiments were the basics
    Lol, i thought throne would be another drum head...

Hmm, so wad are the basics?

User Info Menu

Hey Girlpants,

Yes! The throne plays a huge role in my opinion. You need to be well supported otherwise injuries can occur. The numbness is pretty normal. I get it alot until I bought the Pearl D-1000 throne....solid as a rock and no more numbness!
    Proudly endorsed by
    And Supported by Malmborg Drums
    http://www.themusiclab.com.sg

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast