Yamaha, Casio or Korg (Begginer second hand weighted digital piano)

tabarca76

Hi softies,

It would be great if some of the pianist/keyboard players in here could give advice on some recommended digital piano brand/models.

I've started to learn piano, and prefer to buy a weighted one. I play several instruments and have kind of home studio, amps, etc. but the digital option is better in case I want to record later on.

My budget is limited, but I've seen interested things in the buy/sell section, but my question is about first hand experiences. I've been taking a look on some Clavinova models, Privia and even Korgs. What do you thing could be a nice one from these brands? As I am not sure if I'll have lot of time, better not to spend more than 500$ or around. Obviously, that will limit my options, but who knows. I may get something interested with this budget.

Thanks for your time.

Opinions & experiences can be subjective.

Go to a yamaha showroom & experience the different touches in their line of DPs, namely the GH, GH3 & NW actions. Then, whenever you test out your choice of DPs, see if u can find exactly or close to what you like or have experienced.

A combination of feel of keys, piano sound sample & amplification system is always what to look out for when choosing a good DP.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)

Hi Silverbeast,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been learning piano for a short time (acoustic one), but I have a regular keyboard at home (cheap, not weighted...).

I wanted to ask for opinions because, when you are a newbie, most of the keyboards look/feel/touch very similiar, as you are not an expert yet, and your ear is not really develop for this instrument (my case).

People has been telling me to go for Yamaha, but for example, what is the main difference between the Clavinovas and the PS models ? I've been checking the specs, and I know, they have different characteristics, and Clavinova more expensive. On the other hand, the Clavinova are pretty heavy (more than 40 kg...) although I plan to use it only at home and for some computer recording (in the future).

Anyway, any suggestion for a specific model for a begginer in this budget and with good feel and easy to handle would be great.

Cheers

Personally, I own a CLP280 and still loving it, especially the wood keys! Technology has advanced so much that piano samples in most DPs these days are good, but it is the ability to mimic the detailed characteristics of an acoustic one (pedalling, string resonance, etc) that sets them apart. I don't know about you, but I appreciate those details. On top of that, it is the right combination of the 3 components i've mentioned that sets the competition much further apart.

Go play, listen and feel a CLP480 and a CLP430, and you'll know what I mean. I'm only a Yamaha and Roland fan when it comes to DPs, but the concern with the texture of Roland keys puts me off.

Yes, DPs are heavy, but if you decide on a stage piano, do get a good pair of speakers. But correct me if I'm wrong, none of them can replicate close to the experience of playing on an acoustic as well as a DP unless one is an expert in caliberatng the 3 components mentioned. Also, few stage pianos so far offers wood keys or offers the Yamaha GH3 key experience.

Btw, there's a CLP340 in the ad section. Why not check it out after your trip to the Yamaha showroom? You'll unlikely regret it, especially if the condition is good and price is right ;-)

Hey, I just re-read your 1st post and saw your budget. Also, you are taking up piano lessons. Well, you might wanna rethink to increase your budget? Do think a bit long term and take into consideration of the make and quality of your choice of DP.

WRT feel of keys, perhaps you can consider for Yamaha - GH and above, Korg - RH3, Roland - PHA. As for others, I'm not familiar.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Thanks for your reply and the ads! I've also seen some in the forum section. I'll be landing in SG the 1st of August, therefore, I can't contact some of this ads, but happy to continue getting recommendations. Before I take a decision, I'll let you know.

Cheers

Hi,
Clavinovas, basically, have weighted keys, which make them more "acoustic piano-like". Whereas PS are generally, light weight keyboards.
If you are learning how to play the piano, I would suggest going for Clavis, coz they would also give you the full piano range (7.5 octaves). Most PS are in the 5 octave range only.

Of course, Clavis would also be heavier due to the weighted keys but if you are not taking the instrument out for gigs or jam sessions, it should not pose an issue being placed in a permanent position at your home? ;)

My take on all the brands are that it comes down to personal preferences, so there's no one "better" than the other, subjectively speaking ;)

My take on all the brands are that it comes down to personal preferences, so there's no one "better" than the other, subjectively speaking ;)

Of course, if one has no expectation of anything, everything is satisfiable.

But if we are talking about specs of the various DPs, all are not the same.

It's important to 'Play on it. Listen to it. Like it (& got budget for it)? Then Buy it!' and that definitely involves the consideration of the combination of 3 factors (feel of keys, piano sample and the amplification system).

True but in perspective the OP just started learning. That's why I gave this view. It's not like the sound would make a big difference if one is still learning how to play!! :D
I believe specs only make sense at a certain level. A beginner would usually go for cheaper, sounds reasonable and, maybe, the touch (coz OP was also considering a Portasound, which is not much in the touch dept!!) ;)

Hmmm, I didn't know he was considering portasound (=PS) which shouldn't be so, esp if he's already into learning piano. I thought he was comparing between cabinet and stage DPs.

@tarbaca76 - What were u thinking??? :-D

Hi again,

As you can imagine, being a newbie to get a new instrument, it is not an easy task, especially if you don't have a big budget and you don't know if you are going to have enough time to learn playing properly. I don't want to throw away a lot of money and later, leave the instrument in one corner, that's why I've been cautious about it.

Some people is telling me to go for brands/models, invest more money, etc. but at this stage, better not to commit/spend lot of money. Based on that, and some ads/posts I've seen, I've shortlisted some digital pianos already.

If I am right, this is a digital piano: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalpianos/p_series/p-85/?mode=model (Yamaha P-85 or similar). Don't know what people is telling me about portasound and all that stuff.

On the other hand, I am an expat and I may end up leaving SG sooner or later, or moving houses, etc. (that's why I consider the weight of the piano), and also make some music time to time in my studio.

Other people recommended me to buy an acoustic one, but in my circumstances, better to go for the digital.

I've seen already some Clavinova (CLP, 240, 340 and 440), ps-85, ps-95 and some Korg. Again, the budget is an important thing, and the 440 and 340 were not in my range (just now).

Anyway, next week I will be back in SG and start to see the second hand ones I've seen on different websites, and shortlist the pianos I could take (budget/characteristics).

I really appreciate all your feedback, but remember, I am just a guitar player who've just started to learn piano, not a pianist with lot of experience... or money to spend.

Btw, I don't think trying to save money when you are not sure is to be a beggar (probably the one who said that has lots of money to spend- good for you- but not my case).

Thanks

Tabarca76, chill ok? This has been a friendly discussion even with all the text 'flying' around. Anyway, text are without emotions and can kill.

I think I now know your PS refers to the Yamaha P series, P85/P95/P120/P140/etc and not PS85...etc. and I'm right to say that you are looking at cabinet style digital pianos (eg. Yamaha Clavinova and roland HP, etc) and stage digital pianos (eg. yamaha P series, korg SP series, etc).

Check your PM coz I've given a bit more info. To end off here, I don't think anyone here would treat you like a beggar. Again, chill! ;-)

Hi,

Never felt treated like a beggar and probably one of the calmest person in the world. It may happen, that when I write in english, may sound a bit rough (not my mother tongue), but you are right, this is a friendly discussion, and never took it personal.

Btw, I am on holidays, and pretty chill :)

Thanks again!

Tabarca76,

You were looking at the P-85, do note that its not a "PS"-85!! ��
Coz when you mentioned "PS", for keyboards, that is usually a short form of "PortaSound" as all portasound models start with "PS-xxx"

Your looking around of all those keyboards, should get you something within your budget soon enough.
Your "dynamic" nature of moving in and out of SG, definitely mean looking at used ones are the way to go! ��
Do take note, though, some used ones, although look fine and function when you audition them, can break down after a few months!! I experienced this once on a Clavinova that tested out fine, looked ok but broke down within a month and when I got Yamaha to look at it for repairs, they told me that they no longer stock the parts for that model!!
However, this particular one came out to be a "lemon" out of 5 used Clavis I bought over a few years. ;)

All the best in your search!

Q

korg also came out with their portasound - Korg PS60

PS60_oblique_634049423905880000.png

Back