WTS: 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)

CyanideJunkie

Up for sale is a bone stock 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Yep, everything is original, save for the solder points on the pots due to an experimentation with 50s wiring.

The year puts this as a Norlin-era LP and also comes with famous volute at the bottom of the headstock. I don't really care about what the purists say; the volute strengthens the integrity of the headstock and makes it less likely to snap (something that's frighteningly common with LPs).

For the axeheads out there, you'll be interested to know that this LP belongs to the same year as Zakk Wylde's "Grail" Bullseye LP. No modern LP custom (historic or otherwise) will sound like this one due to two reasons: a maple neck and the rare Shawbuckers.

Most LP Customs are made with a mahogany neck, but the maple neck on this guitar gives it a brighter and snappier tone that complements the one-piece ebony fretboard to a tee. Shawbuckers were only included in early Norlin LPs until Gibson decided to handover the production to Bill Lawrence due to budget issues. Shawbuckers are known for a giving a more spritely sound compared to Seth Lover's original humbucker design. Basically, you'll never find yourself complaining that this Custom sounds "too dark"!

To top it all off, this LP comes with its original "chainsaw" case - known as being Gibson's most sturdy headcase design yet. It's a MK I design - there were three different iterations altogether - with a crushed red velvet interior. The only caveat is that one of the plastic clasps snapped off. It doesn't affect the security of the case, but the damage is irreparable due to the nature of the clasp's design (unless you're able to mould a new one from scratch).

As much as I hate to sell this piece off, I have student loans to pay off and I don't play it as much as it deserves, so I'd rather it go to someone who appreciates it. Pricing this at $3,800, but let me know if you have a better counter-offer!

Reach out to me at nine 0 seven 0 9160 - I don't visit this site often so you'll get a faster response through my mobile.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 388
Back