Stop Bar/Tail Piece

metallibeast

What´s up?

Can anybody tell me what´s the diff in having the stopbar/tail piece lowered all the way down as oppose to having it higher>

-Beast

hi beast. i understand what you are driving at...
icon_cool.gif

there´s a popular belief that lowering the hard tail component of a tune-o-matic bridge will increase the sustain of the guitar. reason being that the contraption is now flushed & one with the body so the string´s reverberation is now transfered to the body more directly.

i have such a setting for my LP but if there´s any increase in the sustain, then it´s inaudible/ negligible. the LP already has enough inherent sustain. i hope this addresses your concern
icon_smile.gif

What´s up?

I tried it as well...dun really find any increase in sustain...rather I thought that my sustain is not as long
icon_frown.gif
I probably need to try it out a bit more...lowered it when I changed my pickups
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_cool.gif

-Beast

some are of the opinion that if its flushed against the body, it´ll induce string breakage due to the steeper angle over the tune-o-matic bridge. but i haven´t snapped any strings since i did that...
icon_cool.gif

Hi everybody!

Subversion, have you tried stringing the reverse way?...i think they call it "over the top" or something. Where the strings are stringed in reverse and pulled over the top of the tail-piece so that the angle over the TOM bridge is not so steep... like the way those old Les Paul Gold-tops without TOM bridges are strung...
icon_biggrin.gif

Btw, anyone DIYs their own nuts? to set your action etc?
icon_lol.gif

I´m thinking of getting a Les Paul...any recommendations anyone? I´m also pretty interested in Active pick-ups? Anyone playing with those EMGs? What are they like ?
icon_confused.gif

Thanks for any input
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

string wrapping over is a hit a miss thing. on some guitars it sounds better, on others the sustain dies.

Back