Pickups Help

isuxs

hey fellow softies,
i own a stagg strat(alder body/mapleneckwith rosewood fretboard) modded with dimarzio air norton 's' on mid and Dimarzio cruiser on bridge.
i play through a sound drive sg10.no effects/pedal etc
the thing is that i dont think it suit my music style.
i listen to eric clapton,john mayer,and jimi hendrix etc.(blues/jazz/rock etc)

so i would like to ask,what would be an ideal pickup combination for me.
im looking to switch all 3 pickups on my strat.
my budget would be the price of air norton 's' and cruiser.

(im fine if you guys wanna trade pickups)

thank you,
ISUXS

Changing your pickups will do nothing to help you achieve the sound you want. You will have to either buy effects, a new amp, or even both to get what you want.

maybe something like lace sensor, fender texas special pickups(I owned them it's good). Tell you what just go and try diff guitars with diff pickups yourself, hear it that's the best what sounds good to you sounds good to you not to me

the guitarists you mentioned all used single coil pickups, however, Air Norton s and Cruiser are humbucker voiced. maybe you would like to get a set of dimarzio true velvet pickups, which are true single coils or you can try to get the humbucking area 58, 61, 67 or the virtual vintage series.

you can get dimarzios from standard value

Last edited:
You realise all of them use different variants of Fender Pickups right? I think you should do some EQ-ing. that would make a difference.

yeah i do.did some research before starting this thread.i tried EQ-ing my amp and everything.multiefx/pedals/etc.but the sound i got is not close or same.therefore,im now looking into pickups.Amp is nt a problem as i often use my friends marshall valvestate amp.

so far,i thought FENDER texas special would close this thread;-)
but im still looking out for other cheaper/reliable pickups.

Yes, now the problem is the amplifier. Between each of them, those three have used, off the the top of my head, Soldano SLO-100s, Fender Twin Reverbs, Marshall Bluesbreakers, Dumble Overdrive Specials and Marshall Plexis, with some effect pedals to get their tone, like Tubescreamers and MXR Fuzzfaces. Thinking that your Valvestate can match or even sound the same as these amps and that a simple pickup change will nail you their tone, you are sadly mistaken.

Oh, a finger transplant may help as well.

yeah i do.did some research before starting this thread.i tried EQ-ing my amp and everything.multiefx/pedals/etc.but the sound i got is not close or same.therefore,im now looking into pickups.Amp is nt a problem as i often use my friends marshall valvestate amp.

so far,i thought FENDER texas special would close this thread;-)
but im still looking out for other cheaper/reliable pickups.

Cheaper and reliable? have you tried out Tonerider pickups?

http://www.tonerider.com/pickups/stratpickups.html

HEY!!THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE HELP.
IVE SHORTLISTED 2 PU DUE TO YR HELP.
They are tesla vr1 and fender texas special.
Tried the tesla,its cheap,afford to play the sound im looking for.
Now,to find fender texas special pickups...

thanks once again.:D

Yes, now the problem is the amplifier. Between each of them, those three have used, off the the top of my head, Soldano SLO-100s, Fender Twin Reverbs, Marshall Bluesbreakers, Dumble Overdrive Specials and Marshall Plexis, with some effect pedals to get their tone, like Tubescreamers and MXR Fuzzfaces. Thinking that your Valvestate can match or even sound the same as these amps and that a simple pickup change will nail you their tone, you are sadly mistaken.

Oh, a finger transplant may help as well.
LOL he is just asking advise for pickup not amp. maybe instead of telling him things he might already know, why not suggest him a good set of affordable pickup. ; )

Last edited:
LOL he is just asking advise for pickup not amp. maybe instead of telling him things he might already know, why not suggest him a good set of affordable pickup. ; )

well cos what dodgethis said is actually the cold facts haha. perhaps changing from rails to true non hum-cancelling single coils may help get the tone slightly closer but then again the diff between those high end amps and TS' mentioned amps is just too great. yes the valvetronix may be way better than the sg10 but u still cant compare it with the high end amps. (if not who will buy those amps right??) so in the end i recommend any true single coils. i've tried the tesla vr-1, they sound pretty sweet to me. definitely worth getting

Back