Peavey Tube Heads

Hello Subversion. I was refering to the 5150 combo, 5150II head and the Ultra Plus head. Any thoughts on them?

Eric

i own the Ultra Plus, it´s discontinued. go to the Swee Lee MFO & try out the UP, hear how good this amp is. after hearing it, ask yourself why do you need the Triple XXX & 5150 which are without reverb.

Thanks Subversion. What cab are you using it with? How much did you pay for the UP and what music do you play. I´m pretty busy so I can´t be able to swing by Swee Lee anytime soon. I play a of of blues to rock, could the UP do it for me?

thanks again,

Eric

i paid slightly >1K for it & it´s plugged into a Fender Tone Master cab. it is currently handling all my shred/ fusion & metal settings.

IMO this amp might have a little too much gain for your. you are better of with a tube combo like a Fender Blues Junior perhaps...

That´s pretty reasonable for a head I´ve see so far. I´ll definitely check out the Peavey when I am free. Could you please describe the tone of the UP? What can it do and which band/song would you describe the tone it mimics best? Thanks for the reply.

Peace,

Eric

well, i don´t try to emulate anybody else´s tone so i can´t relate to that. the clean channel is decent & a lot better than the 5150´s. it gives me very high gain for aggressive music but at the same time no loss of definition on the low freq.

Thanks for the reply again Subversion. I don´t really know a whole deal with tube amps. I visited a forum from this site called harmony-central(amp) and it´s pretty complicated. I didn´t understand much from what they say.

Is it hard to maintain a tube amp? I know what preamp and power tubes are, but must you change them regularly? How often do you replace them? What preamp and power tubes does your UP have now? Thank you very much
icon_smile.gif

P.S I hope I am not bothering you will all this basic questions. If I am, I apologise.

Eric

the good thing about the UP is that it has a half power switch, so i won´t wake up the dead... by thw way the cemetary is about 400m from my residence...
icon_cool.gif

the power tubes in my amp are default, but the pre-amp tubes are electro harmonics 12AX7. i don´t think taking care of tube amps is such a hassle if you practice the rituals of loving your amp ie. warm it up before switching on etc..

Thanks Subversion!! When will you change the power tubes? Is there a period or anything? Are they like light bulbs where it takes a long time for them to deteriorate?

Eric

if you play full blast everyday for maybe >6hrs then it´s likely that you need to replace ´em often- maybe 2mths.

if you play at home, maybe it´ll last you a year... it´s already 25mths since i last changed mine...
icon_cool.gif

i used to own a Marshall tube ccombo DSL-401, the tubes in it remained unchanged ´til i sold it off

<font size=-1>[ Edited by subversion On Date _MONTHDATETIME ]</font>

That´s what I wanna hear. So tube change is not a factor at all. Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Where do you buy your tubes?

Eric

Back