Need some help

Souled

Hi , Im just wondering if it is possible to learn the bass without any guitar knowledge? I am planning buy one next week ( a budget one of course between 200 - 300+) Is there any book to recommend for beginners if I want to self - teach myself?

I've read some threads about davis shop at peninsula which has a bass package of $250+? is it open during sundays/public holidays and is the offer still ongoing?

Thanks for helping me :D

1. Spamming questions are okay. Spamming questions that you can find out answers to yourself are not. Why not check out davis guitar's site yourself, or call them? I googled for them when I was starting out.

2. Yes you can learn anything without prior knowledge, bass included. I bought only 1 book when I was starting out: The Bass Handbook from Kinokuniya. Cost about $40 I think. I recommend it because apart from the theory/practicals in the second half, the first half has the history of the bass guitar and all the assorted junk related to it. There're even steps to calculate your cabs' different resistance when matching bass amplifiers and speaker cabinets. (Beyond what you know? It's okay...)

3. Search for the thread by Wendy Phua in the Teachers Available forum. She has many links you can check out if you want to learn yourself.

4. Consider a teacher actually. I'm studying under Ms Wendy and it's been...helpful, to say the least. There're things a teacher can point out that you wouldn't see for yourself, like my buzzing E-string which I never noticed. Now I learn to mute it properly when playing.

And welcome, my fellow noob!

EDIT: (Self-advert) Oh yeah. Go check out the bass faq under the Bass Gear section.

Last edited:
Thank you,trowaclown for the quick replies .

Is there any shop selling the whole package ( bass guitar , amp etc..) for 300+?

Hope you guys have some good recommendation :D

yup timbre basses from standard value are very value for money..

IMO u cant get any better construction in tt price range unless u go second hand..

and mike at sv does offer packages at times..try talkng to him..:mrgreen:

Hi , Im just wondering if it is possible to learn the bass without any guitar knowledge? I am planning buy one next week ( a budget one of course between 200 - 300+) Is there any book to recommend for beginners if I want to self - teach myself?

I've read some threads about davis shop at peninsula which has a bass package of $250+? is it open during sundays/public holidays and is the offer still ongoing?

Thanks for helping me :D

Hi, I think the SX Bass package is still available at Davis Guitar. It's $250 with an alder body bass (P or J), basic case, bass amp, cable, strap, tuner and instructional DVD.
Sunday is open til around 6-7pm? But not sure if public holi got open or not.
Think got 3 colors. Black, red and sunburst.

Yes possible to learn without having guitar knowledge.

Beside buying books, you can try instructional dvds or music sch like themusiclab and etc.

Cheers

Ben

the aim of playing an instrument is to make music

if you want to be good at an instrument, make music. not scales, not notes, but music.

i hope that answers you question

Back