Need help in creating melodies using scales and chords

aikelman

I have a slight music theory knowledge . I would like to know how do you apply scales or to know which chords come after next . I have a lot of troubles playing solo over a backing track . It is in tune but the melody doesn't flow you see . Anyone can explain to me more about scales an chord progression or maybe some links i could read it up ? Thank you in advance !

Hi Aikelman, I presume you are having difficulty when solo-ing over backing tracks, hence your question.
I am guessing, you are playing the "right notes" from the right scales (e.g. minor pentatonic etc.), but yet, it doesn't sound right. The key issue here is, resolving the melodic phrase.

What is "resolving" the melodic phrase?

Simply put, resolving the melodic phrase is to end the melodic phrase on notes that will sound "right" in the context of the song. How do we do that?

Well, we need to end our phrases on notes that ARE FOUND IN THE CHORD THAT IS BEING PLAYED AT THAT MOMENT.

Now, let's put this in context:

Let us say we have a chord progression in the key of Am:

||: Am | G | F | G :||

The notes that make up your chords respectively are,
Am: A, C, E
G: G, B, D
F: F, A, C

And, let us assume you are solo-ing with the A minor Pentatonic Scale, which consists of:
A, C, D, E, G

This means that if you end your phrase when the A minor chord is still being played, you would want to end your phrase on either the A, C, or E note. (Since these are notes all found in the A minor chord)

If you end your phrase on the G chord, you would want to end your phrase on either the G or D note.
Lastly, if you end your phrase on the F chord, you would want to end your phrase on the A or C note.

(Of course, if you want to create tension in your solo, this is not necessary. But before learning to "create tension", it is good to first learn to "resolve the tension")

Also, it may be good to start with simple backing tracks, which do not have too many chord changes or non-diatonic chord sequences.

In point form, here are some of my suggestions:
1. Learn to resolve your melodic phrases
2. Always study the backing track you are playing.
- Figure out the key signature, the chord progressions used, the style.
3. Choose simple backing tracks at first.
- Check this one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n3WdUSpybA

I hope this helps!

Edwin
www.sleepingostrichmusic.com

Back