Need advice on snare drum, vintage ludwig drums

TheElbowBand

hi, i am new here.

i like to know where can i get those vintage ludwig snare drums in singapore, is there a local store?
alternatively, is there a way to tune a snare drum to get a rock n roll 60s sound?
my favourite drummers are keith moon, hal blaine, ringo starr to state examples.
i like to also know what kind of snare drums u all have.
recently, i saw some low range pearl snares in sweelee, are there any good?

thanks in advance.

It depends on the sound you are after. Those Vintage Ludwig drums are VERY NICE but can also be very expensive. As they are quite sought after on the vintage drum market. If you do find one cheap, the person you get it from obviously does not know what they have. So Good Luck.

Now to get that kind of sound look for a STEEL, BRASS or ALUMINIUM snare that is 14" x 5" or 5.5". Put a Remo Ambassador coated or Evans G1 coated head and tune TIGHTLY but not too tight as you will choke the sound.

GOOD LUCK

As for snare drums. I have:
Pearl Free Floater Maple 14" x 6.5". My Ulitmate ROCK snare VERY LOUD
Pearl Soprano Snare Maple 12" x 7" Great for funk and ghost notes
Tama Superstar Birch Snare 14" x 5.5" Great Allround Snare

thanks boogieman for the reply. i hope i can get a good snare soon.
so there are no local stores selling ludwig?
and what do u think of pearl 's chad smith's signature snare drum?
i heard it has good articulation.

The Chad Smith snare has to be one of the best value snare drums on the market. Its made of Nickel plated steel.
Depending on the head used you can get very different sounds. If you tune it tight like i said with the ambassador head you will get a "Ringy" sound.

I have found that if you use a Remo Powerstoke 3 Coated head it will elliminate the ring and give you a really nice tone. Remember tight but not too tight!! The powerstoke 3 has a built in muffling ring on the underside of the head to "EQ" out that ringy overtone

Check it out. I think I saw one at Swee Lee not long ago.

Back