Last Minute Custom Jimi Hendrix Strat

oldskoolstreet

Hardly anyone had ever heard of Jimi Hendrix before he played at Monterey. When he triumphantly made his grand exit from the stage, he left behind far more than the smashed bits of his smoldering guitar. He violently carved an immortal legend of himself across the face of Rock. The vision of Jimi that still remains is one of an eternally young god, kneeling before the inferno of his sacrificial guitar, beckoning the flames higher with his magic fingers. From that moment on, music irrevocably moved forward, pushing electric guitar into the fore, transforming it into a raw instrument of unlimited power. Guitarist Pete Townsend of the Who perfectly described what it felt like performing after Hendrix at Monterey: "We came on after him, and all I could do was just stand there and strum."

In 1971, the 30th anniversary of "The Summer of Love" and the Monterey Festival, the Fender Custom Shop created the Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop Festival Stratocaster, featuring the artwork of Pamelina H (who, coincidentally, was at the 1967 Festival, though seven-years-old at the time).

The artwork for the limited edition (210) Custom Shop guitar was based on the Fiesta Red2 Stratocaster Hendrix, also a visual artist, had hand-painted and played (and burned) during his Festival performance. Pamelina H studied the Festival video and the first rendering of the guitar she presented to Fender was a close representation of the original. Fender, however, asked her to "Pamelina" it, which she did, smoothing out the graphics and adding the Hendrix "backstage pass" that appears on the front body (certainly not to be found on the original - it incorporates a photograph by Ed Caraeff of Hendrix burning the guitar). The final design was approved by Janie Hendrix on behalf of the Jimi Hendrix Estate and the project received the advice and support of Lou Adler and Howard Frank of the Monterey International Pop Festival Foundation.

In addition to the instrument, which is patterned on a Custom Shop 1965 "transition" Strat, the limited edition package included a flight case, a plush-lined white suede leather gig bag with beads and tassels reminiscent of the era, a guitar strap styled like the suede gig bag, a period-correct bridge cover, a laminated "backstage pass" like the one on the body of the instrument with the addition of the guitar's limited edition number ("XXX/210), and a metal and leather folder containing the Custom Shop COA and an 8"x10" photograph of Hendrix playing the original instrument.

Specifications:

Part Number: 010-4406-(850)
Body: Aged Alder (Candy Apple Red)
Neck: Top Notch Guatemalan Cocobolo (Tough Rifle butts are usually made of Cocobolo)
Machine Heads: Vintage Style
Fretboard: Cocobolo
No. of Frets: 21 vintage
Pickups: 3 Vintage
Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), Tone (Mid)
Bridge: Vintage Tremolo
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade
Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
Neck Width @ Nut: 1.650" (42 mm)
Hardware Chrome
Colors: (840) Fiesta Red /White swath/ Custom hand painted re-creation of Hendrix's guitar
PickGuard: 3-Ply White with Custom hand painted re-creation of Hendrix's original guitar.
Strings: Fender Super 250L's (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel pn# 073-0250-003

I got this built for: SGD $3,750 with great help from Riki Hendrix, very good friend of E.Ghana in Peninsula, Coleman st :)

Now this Replica Monterey is @$2.5k. Super pristine condition. No visible dings, whatsoever. Just plain memorabilia of a Rock n Roll Age.

img0834wf.jpg

img0835ag.jpg

img0838kg.jpg

img0836yr.jpg

montereystratneck.jpg

papayaman:hey man, im painting one myself too..
may i know what red spray paint u use?none of the colours by nippon spray paint is close..

papayaman:hey man, im painting one myself too..
may i know what red spray paint u use?none of the colours by nippon spray paint is close..

Hi! Haha I actually bought a used Fernandez Fiesta Red Strat that had a fender neck on it off Ebay and sprayed on the white.

Not sure if you're seen this site but the guys from Guitar Attack got some Fiesta red from Paintscratch.com. The color is apparently a 1956 Ford Thunderbird Car color.

Here is the link to Guitar Attack:

http://www.guitarattack.com/mattocaster/monterey/monterystrat1.htm

yeah!saw it but abit of a hassle to ship the spray paint ahh..haha

i did a monterey strat b4 this but i still could not get the red colour rght.the white and the burst is spot on!may i know is that seafoam on the pickguard and body?where you get that colour?

- - - Updated - - -

To oldskoolstreet,
sorry for hijacking the thread:)im a craze for the monterey strat.:)

- - - Updated - - -

To oldskoolstreet,

Dear Bros i am not selling this Monterey anymore. It is a gem of mine I played it all night long. Nothing better sounds quite like it. Thanks for your interest anyways. Nippon is really close to the colour but needs a white background first.

yeah!saw it but abit of a hassle to ship the spray paint ahh..haha

i did a monterey strat b4 this but i still could not get the red colour rght.the white and the burst is spot on!may i know is that seafoam on the pickguard and body?where you get that colour?

- - - Updated - - -

To oldskoolstreet,

- - - Updated - - -

To oldskoolstreet,

haha the paint is by FolkArt. Its called 524 Calypso Sky Acrylic paint. I got it off Amazon. Hope they have it in Singapore!

which nippon spray paint ey bro?im looking to start painting on the 25th dec..will upload the pic of the whole process on soft and credit you and papayaman at the end:)..hehe

Dear Bros i am not selling this Monterey anymore. It is a gem of mine I played it all night long. Nothing better sounds quite like it. Thanks for your interest anyways. Nippon is really close to the colour but needs a white background first.

Wise choice bro. This is one guitar you should keep. It's a gem!! :)

Back