Joe Satriani- Is There Love in Space?

subversion

Dear friends, I’ve just finished listeing to Joe Satriani’s latest release, ‘Is There Love in Space?’ and came very close to smashing this CD to bits…

After listening to this album, one can’t help but realize that even the mas ter runs out of ideas at times. The first 6 tunes could’ve been swapped with any tracks from his previous release, ‘Strange Beautiful Music’ and nobody would give a hoot because they sound very similar conceptually. If it’s not for tracks 7-11, I would’ve put this release up for sale.

My pick for this album is the final track, ‘Bamboo’. The accompanying riffs sound deceivingly simple, but if you take the time to try and play it yourself (on the guitar) then you realize that they are all tapped! That’s scary…

Despite Satch’s employment of the 7-string, it’s used rather blandly. However, the overall tone of this release has more clarity & distinct sharpness. Thumbs up then to the new Peavey JSX!

Wah...bad review?? I was about to get it....

I've only got snippets of his music here and there (plus some guitar mag sheet of his songs...)

I especially liked Surfing With the Alien .... and some of his G3 antics.. He always had something with the "crystal" sound....seem to hear it all the time...

I'm thinking of getting some of his albums to "start"... any recommendations??

I personally prefer John Petrucci....he's very versatile...jazz...rock...prog...

satch is still a guitar master, this album somehow lacks his masterstrokes on many of the tunes. i virtually have all his albums, thusfar, i only enjoy 2 tremendously- Surfing with theAlien + Engines of Creation.

Surfing saw Satch at his best, no holds barred performance. maybe it has everything to do with the time of its release, it was the shred-era '80s, everyone was out to impress. i learnt a lot from this album, but tone-wise, it's too unidimensional & high end excessive.

Engines IMO is what everybody should embrace- a fusion of guitar & technology at its best, not to mention at its most tasteful. i hold this release in high regards, its a product of a genius who thinks out of the box, a brave showcase of individualism.

the last good, shred album i heard was the Howe/ Wooten/ Chambers project 'Extraction'.

I just got round to hearing some of 'Surfing with the alien' stuff. Very interesting, quite cool really, very super hero feeling....which explains the "silver surfer" album cover. Must be inspired by the marvel comics character. I still like the main theme song "surfing with the alien" compared to the rest though. Very refreshing, new, quirky and up beat!

His songs got a very listenable quality to it, something I can listen to when i travel to school and stuff. Like Vai's....there's a story behind each song.

Think I'll troop off to buy some of his albums when my pay check arrives....unless some kind soul willing to sell me 2nd hand albums.

It's been some time, since I listened to collaboration instrumental albums... My favourite being the liquid tension albums.... the latest being albums by Niacin (Sheehan, Novello, Chambers)...I'm looking forward to the Petrucci/Rudess "An evening with John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess"

I just caught Yellow Matter Custard (Portnoy, Moorse, Gilbert, Bisonette), they're super, check them out.

subversion said:
After listening to this album, one can’t help but realize that even the mas ter runs out of ideas at times. The first 6 tunes could’ve been swapped with any tracks from his previous release, ‘Strange Beautiful Music’ and nobody would give a hoot because they sound very similar conceptually. If it’s not for tracks 7-11, I would’ve put this release up for sale.

Since the line up is virtually the same and release back to back, it is highly possible that this are left overs from the SBM sessions plus new tunes written. Like Tallica's Load Reload....GNR's Use you Illusion I II

Anyway I did a review on my Blog...it anyone wana go check it out

http://icecoldluci.blogspot.com/

-Beast

Yeah...I have to agree from the blog.

My fav songs in the Album is "Is there Love in Space"...the melody is so good.

"SOuls of distortion" the wah wah crunch thing is absolutely mind blowing.... superb!

"Searching" woah...when he played the octave pitch bend thing, it was like...WOAH! close ur eyes and hear this one too.....

Back