Ibanez AF85

subversion

Ibanez_AF85.jpg

Ibanez Artcore AF85VLS
List: $800

The AF85VLS isn`t a new guitar, 2005 is its 2nd year of production & it survived elimination from the catalogue unlike its AX (smaller bodied, single cutaway) & TX (Talman shaped) siblings. So what`s the story here?

Unlike the dual cutaway AS models, the AF85 is a hollow unit; lightweight & spine-friendly. Unlike its other hollow body brother, the AF75, the AF85VLS has a rounded cutaway bout, much like the Grestch Brian Setzer rather than the Gibson L5. This AF75VLS is actually the twin brother of the AF75DT/ BS, except that it suffers a genetic deviation- it`s sycamore bodied rather than maple bodied… big deal huh?

COnstruction/ Fit/ Finish
Yes indeed. In addition to being more visually stunning (the flame adding on to the mojo…), the tonal properties differ if you take time to listen to it closely that is. But first, praise goes to the fit & finish of this guitar, unblemished & immaculate. The all-round binding is fantastic, no frayed edges anywhere, which includes the scratch plate. This is a piece of work per se, it`s actually plastic, laminated with a layer of matching flamed sycamore. At this price, it`s reflective of genuine quality, very applaudable. My exclusive praise goes to the neck-body attachment which has no sign of excessive paint blobs. If you aren`t familiar with the semi/ hollow neck-body joint, the angled, protruding neck tongue inclines markedly to keep up with the very high bridge placement. It`s all about accoustic resonance, high bridge placement is necessary to accentuate non-amplified resonance, the reason unfretted instruments like the violin, has excessive bridge elevation. Finishing this area of the guitar is a little tricky, too little paint & the gaps will show, too much & it`ll look like you1re covering a botched-up area. The chrome tail end & fabulous pearloid fretboard markers add to the touch of class. Time to plug in…

Playability/ Tone
If you are expecting buttery, Gibson-esque tones, you`d be slightly disappointed. The AF85VLS does possess smooth voicings but it has this touch of crispiness which is critical for single note definition, especially when the neck humbucker is in play. The deep C-profile neck is very pleasing to the touch, very shred-inducing too if not for the small frets which is a challenge to overcome. Clean, it`s a jazz machine, a very worthy Gibson competitor in my books. With added drive, the guitar is very responsive but watch the treble on your amp, it`ll get screechy when excessive. Nevertheless, the sycamore managed to trim a healthy dose of top end from the overall nuance.

Last say
I`m not a fan of big, hollow-bodied jazz type guitars, the body depth proves a hindrance to my playing comfort but this AF was very hard to put down. However, be warned that the small frets buzz easily if you pick too hard which I did at times, rest assured that it`s not an anomaly. The intonation of the guitar is surprisingly spot-on. I love it to bits… Please do not audition it in the hopes that it`ll out-jazz a Gibson- it`s not one to start with. Another well-made, thoughtfully priced Chinese Ibanez to be content with.

Back