Equalizers, the Down side and ups.

xynkro

Guitarists and bassists use Equalizers for a myriad of effects, some use it as a chunky over drive, some use it to get the boosts for guitar soloing or lead riffing, others leave it on throughout just to alter their tone in a specified way.

But it would be difficult tweaking an EQ pedal as its much more complicated than a simple Pre-amp with only bass mid and highs

Secondly, different atmostpheres accustom to different settings.
A good musician once told me, to sound good as a band, you sound horrible on your own.

So the question is much rather,Are equalizers essential arsenal in a guitarists effects chain, or is it just a method to boost your signals when riffing / soloing/ to be heard because the singer is taking the limelight away?

some might find it a key effect, others can do without it. as stated, it alters the tone in a specific way, so if a guitarist or any musician for that matter has attained the tone he seeks in his rig, the eq is unneccesary. though it'd always be fun to have one lying in the chain to use when some "creativity" is sparked.

if your amp's EQ works for you, the acquisition of a supplementary unit (pedal or otherwise) is unnecessary unless it serves a certain need.

then what about in the case when there is no guitar amplifier. Instead you are direct input into a PA system, is an EQ essential in this scenario?

Please understand what an Eq does first....it will give a clarity to your queries !

Its an effect to either boost or cut the given 5, 6, 10 or more frequencies from low to high. This gives the user the oppertuanity to *color* tone to taste and perfect to remove pesky high end hiss. It can either be used before a gain/dirt pedal for a pre EQ effect or a much drastic post EQ.
Use whatever way u like it as there are no limitations!

Btw it can even be also used as pseudo speaker cab simulator for direct recording as it has the qualities of an amp plus Eq.
I have had success recording straight into pc with good results :wink:

Some prefer a simple parametric EQ, especially bass players for a quick fix ... i dont want to go into that ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_effects#Equalizer

Thanks Gsonique

On a side note,
well Colarndo thanks for pointing that out to me. Well it seems that not ALL gigs have trained soundmen around. Sometimes , it could have been a charity performance where no sound crew was engaged and equipment was provided by whichever performing group ( lest for the main speaker amps ), thus this would leave a band that was not given a priori notice lacking a guitar / bass amp.

Please take into consideration of any alternative scenarios

"A good musician once told me, to sound good as a band, you sound horrible on your own" Interesting Phrase.
Did he have balance and blending issues in his band?

I wouldn't use the term atmosphere(unless you're talking abt the crowd's participation). Acoustics of a place play an important part in what you are heard. You can either live with it or make it more tolerable by adjusting your setup.

That aside, well that's why at some gigs where a few bands are involved, the musicians get someone from another band to mix their band sound since the budget/equipment didn't come with the sound crew.

Eqs

Well one upside of EQs is that i sometimes use my Boss GEB-7 to "correct" the tone of the amp when i jam at different places. Due to the different characteristics of differnt amps. =) hope this helps. :D

Back