Epiphone Bob Marley

subversion

Epiphone_Bob_Marley.jpg

Epiphone Bob Marley
List: $600

Epiphone fans rejoice! no, not because Bob Marley`s pic is finally on your fav guitar brand, but celebrate because the Epi Bob Marley is a good sounding, good playing guitar per se...

I had difficulties putting it away simply because it`s a well set up unit, rich in feel & tones. The lacquerless finish is the ultimate feature IMO of this model, I have always believed that a thin body finish lets the inherent wood tone breathes through the pickups better & this guitar proved just that. I had good experiences with the Fender Highway1 series so this guitar isn`t a major surprise. It also means that the neck doesn`t get sticky after prolonged hours of playing, you just wanna keep going- well done Epi!

Another departure from the average LP is the flat top surface- it`s not arched & it really doesn`t matter. in fact, I`m beginning to understand why Les Paul himself advocated for a flat top design which Gibson ignored. That`s another story, but the feel of this one`s very impressive. Another plus there...

The humbuckers (GIbson desigend), my friends, account for much of the good tones coming out from this guitar- clean/ driven, they deliver. Raggae/ rasta fans would love the bright tones eminating from the bridge unit although the neck counterpart could use a little less `wooliness`. In overdrive mode, both humbuckers are impressive, lots of single notes clarity & a healthy low-end to appease palm-chugging fans. the zebra color configuration is simply sweet.

If there are any demerits here then i`d wager that the neck profile is a little wider (marginal to some of us) than an average LP. In fact, i intentionally played another LP just to make sure & it was just that. of course it`s not too darn wide to such an extent it impedes comfort but players who are accustomed to a typical LP would feel the diff. Another minus for this one is the Bob Marley pic itself- no offence to fans of course. In my honest opinion, it just doesn`t do good to the overall image of the guitar, it surely doesn`t add to tone...

All in all, the Bob Marley Epi is a wonderful player for the lot who don`t mind the absence of familiar LP attributes- it didn`t even say `Les Paul` on the headstock. Please do not buy this guitar in an attempt to replicate Marley`s Gibson tones, for that purpose, you must tread the P-90 path. I must say that the list price is a fair one, worth every cent.

i believe this Epi is in a class of its own. feel-wise, if you dislike the lacquered neck of regular Epi LPs, this one has plenty of bare feel & grip. it is also devoid of a curved top but that's the least of your worries should you value tone more than looks.

i especially like the default pickups because they have a tad more clarity than those other default Epi LP humbuckers- it's uncovered, hence more midrange.

what i dislike, is definitely the graphics... but that adds zilch to tone 8)

Hi, is this guitar available anywhere in singapore? Does swee lee have it? Or is anyone selling this second hand?

Back