DTXpress II

qfactor

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone here using the Yamaha DTXpress II MIDI drum pads?

I´m trying to set the module to play timpani on the pads but can´t seem to find the way to select the GM sounds on the module!! Have gone thru the TWO manuals provided and all that was mentioned is that you CAN select GM sounds from the module, not HOW to do it!
*Sheesh*

Thanks
Qf

very long tim esince I have visited this site. Summer break, hot nights in the UK , cannot sleep so you get a solution:

I have done this with a DTX, a long winded process of setting the trigger to the correct midi note but this can be done. A quicker solution is to use the roland trigger to midi box. Lagi senang solution is to use thhe Alesis DM series modules, where you send the pad in to the DM, and alter the midi note to fit your Timpani sound. The Yamaha can do this as said, but the process is less visible to the eye. After some gestation, managed to trigger from the DTX to an old RY30 with the Weckl samples.

BTW, 'perfecting' drum triggering is my present on going project.
Presently using my own design of mesh trigger pads and if you are keen to know how to make them, email me. The electronic technician at Sinamex will have my email address.

Hi! I'm new here!

Anyway, saw this topic but I can't help with it. Though, my question is, is the DTXpress II a good buy? Cos I've been wondering if I should get it. Live in a flat, have the rhythm traveler but my family is complaining so nowI can't make too much noise.

Hi killerbee

I play the DTXpress II for my church service and I strongly discourage you to get that if you don't want to lose your feel for acoustic drums (and have the money to spend).
After playing with that for 2 years (and I don't have a drumset of my own at home), I cringe whenever I sit myself in front of a set of real drums because I have lost the touch and control for them real drums. I can whack the drums like nobodies' business on an electronic drumset and no one will care - BUT - once you touch real drums, get ready to squirm. ):
Good thing is that screw ups can be covered up real easily, but that is not a good thing in the long run afterall eh.

For the DTXpress II, the sensitivity of the pads wear out after constant playing (so you'd be like 'WOW' at first, but after awhile, it will fail to impress), and the fill ins and attacks will definitely NOT be as versatile as that of real drums. The cymbals are also somehow not very trustworthy at times.

The DTXtreme is currently the Best (which means it costs a Bomb, I think abt 5k) electronic drumset available. Check it out here -

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/Yamaha/PR/DTXTREME.html

Ok I'm nitpicking here, but the screws will wear off also if you constantly whack the drum pads with the strength that they move out of place. Also, the ride pad will 'run off' the original position and it gets rather irritating.

Of course you should stick to your acoustic drumset but well, if you really have no money and no choice but to get electronic drums, I guess the DTXpress is.......ideal -squirms. Heh.

Hope that I've been of help! :)

Great help! Looks like I better not waste $$$ on the DTXpress II then. Nothing beats the acoustic drums it seems!

By the way, are you the one who went on stage and sung with Ronin? Heh! :)

ever thot abt goin roland's way??
they're kinda ex but worth it.
price is more steep den the dtxpress tho. den again ive have not played on any yamaha modules.... yet

Actually, $2K is already way too steep for me. Yamaha can pay by installments that's why I'm considering whether if I can get a digital drumset...

Are you currrently using Roland? Any good? Pros? Cons? I wouldn't mind knowing more about it too...

love it to death, got a roland v club kit with the old blue td6 module 2nd hand. if im not mistaken u have a rhythm traveller rite?
y not juz get a module and convert yer set to diy edrums, did dat to my old pacific chameleon set.
roland modules work great on mesh heads.
its a big plus to jam till 2300 hrs....
hehehe

Hehehe, cos I was at the gig too! Thought you are rather "on" when you got on stage to rock with them. Then I saw your blog. Whoo! \m/

input_output said:
love it to death, got a roland v club kit with the old blue td6 module 2nd hand. if im not mistaken u have a rhythm traveller rite?
y not juz get a module and convert yer set to diy edrums, did dat to my old pacific chameleon set.
roland modules work great on mesh heads.
its a big plus to jam till 2300 hrs....
hehehe

Wah! Damn "chim" sial! Pardon me as I've never gotten beyond the acoustic realm so all these sound very foreign to me man! :)

DTXpress III

I bought a DTXpressIII earlier this year because I needed something to practice on and also because I live in a HDB apartment, which is very small these days. What it has helped me in my playing is the flexibility I have in practising round the clock without disturbing my neighbours. THe comment about losing the feel of a real drum kit is the only set back. However Having something to hit on and practising on something like the telephone book is better than not doing anything at all.

After much practising on the DTXpress, all I did when I jam with my band was to warm up a little (esp on the toms coz they are not like the pads) and I could feel the difference in my playing as a result of much practising.

Keep Drumming Alive!

killerbee:

Heh. Okay... was pretty embarrassing at first but I didnt really care then.
Thought that it would be forgotten after awhile.. But ohwell. Heh. Was fun la :)

actually the best electronic drumset is the roland v20 i would s ay. but it's like double the price of the dtxtreme.

i would say electronic drumsets are good for practice at home. i own a rhythm traveller, and i'm so sad that i can't really hear what i play. so i would actually encourage getting an electronic drumset. but then i guess i am blessed, since my church has acoustic drums, i would lose the feel even if i got an electronic set. but till i get the money.... haha

another nice set (imho) is the roland td6s

Back