Difference between P bass and J bass

namelessone

so whats the difference? I currently have a Jazz bass does p bass fit different genre and like Jazz bass is mainly for jazz music.HENCE the name.

thx

don't forget the physical differences... jazz basses were given the name 'jazz' because fender thought that the slimmer body and neck profile would suit jazz players :D so the naming was due to physical rather than tonal difference

Hmm, I'm not bass player but I think I might help.

Manufactured in 1951, the P-bass was the first solidbody electric bass to ever exist. However, most P-basses we see today is an augmented model to the original incarnation. Its primary feature is a singular split-coil pickup. Because of the nature of the pickup, being technically, humbucker because of the dual coil design, it gives a bassier, fatter sound. Because of this, it is no surprise the P-bass has been used a lot in rock and roll and its subgenres, although other genres such as motown, has seen frequent use of it as well.

The Jazz bass is offered almost a decade later in 1960 as an upper-market model. Now it has two separate single coil pickups. This offers a more midrange-rich sound. The pickup near the bridge is also known to be very punchy. Though known as a "Jazz" bass, it is known to be very versatile and has been used by bass players in almost every genre.

Sometimes I wonder, if the J bass is so versatile, why don't they just stick to making J basses instead of 2 standards which had caused so much confusion :rolleyes:

Versatile as it is, the Jazz bass can't cover the entire range of tones produced by the Precision. And the illusion of choice is always good for business.

yeah baby... the p bass was the first electric bass ever produced. sometimes people don't want a whole arsenal of tones. they just want the original

tone

but of course in the end it all depends on what your ears tell you. If you like the tone of which ever, get it. = )

And to add to that, whether you like the feel of the bass. Since you already have a Jazz, just go try a P Bass to assess the differences yourself.

of course you can always mod your bass to house both jazz and precision pickups like stu hamm's URGE..

Last edited:
that is when artist endorsement comes in. even more illusion there for you

but anyway someone did a great job explaining this in great detail in gear-bass as a sticky

but nvm, just to kill it off,

The Jazz Bass (or J-Bass) was the second model of electric bass guitar created by Leo Fender. The bass is distinct from the Precision Bass in that its tone is brighter and richer in the midrange with less emphasis on the fundamental harmonic. Because of this, many bass players who want to be more "forward" in the mix (including smaller bands such as power trios) prefer the Jazz Bass.

it was renamed the Jazz Bass as Fender felt that its redesigned neck - narrower and more rounded than that of the Precision Bass - would appeal more to jazz musicians

While the Precision Bass was originally styled similarly to the Telecaster guitar (and, after 1957, the Stratocaster), the Jazz Bass' styling was inspired more by the Jazzmaster guitar

so that is the spoon to the mouth, or you can read the whole thing here Fender Jazz Bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

shouldn't the ppl here at soft just make a sticky on this overly asked question? or maybe the already have one. haha

Back