Dare You To Move - Switchfoot (guitar cover)

jrf

With captions!
1993 MIJ Strat - Budda Wah - RC Booster - BB Preamp - Tone Press - Crunchbox - Strymon Bluesky Reverb on shimmer mode - 2x DD20 - Mbox2 - Reaper amp plugin. Audio recorded before video. Guitar panned right, track panned left. 720p gives the best audio quality.

Great playing as usual, but I especially want to commend you for the captions. Think a lot of people will find it helpful for learning.

Like all the covers you've been posting, this one especially cause I've got big love for Switchfoot. I liked what you did on the bridge through outro.

If you like harmonics try this recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2rF0QFM00
It's only on the Japan release of Nothing Is Sound. My favourite version of the song, but it's a major pain in the @$$ to find.

Thanks for the kind words. I added the captions cos I figured it's rather boring to just watch a skinny figure playing a skinny guitar, and I wanted to show the effects that I'm using since I don't have a pedalboard shot. And, I don't do shredfest covers, so there's a bit of visual interest lost there.

@Cheesedaele: That version is cool. They used to do that live. Recently they seem to prefer starting the song with just Jon on acoustic though. They did that for this year's concert, and iirc, the one in 2009 as well. Awesome live act.

They've gone through two 'phases' with the song.

They used to open it strong, straight into a heavy sound. Like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHMHV2WyyXk, similar to a 2004 re-recording of the track on either Nothing Is Sound or Learning To Breathe (can't recall which).

Lately they like doing it with Jon starting on acoustic, more similar to the first album recording. Often as an encore piece, so everyone'll go off and then Jon comes back on and starts while the rest come in dramatically in the darkness, kinda cheesy lol but still cool. Caught them both times here and yea they did this.

The Japan-only recording's my favourite because it's a little slower, and it builds the song better than the other two versions. My ex-drummer agrees and loves starting the song!

=====

Want to see you solo more btw. Use those crazy spider hands you've got.

I prefer their current version. More emo. :p I was too lazy to record the first bit on my acoustic though.

Eh, those crazy spider hands don't do a lot of solos. Fortunately or unfortunately, I make a much better rhythm than lead guitarist. Works for me though, since my band only has 3 instruments and a singer.

Back