Compare Digital Piano under SGD$ 2,000

SingHifi

Hi all

Please kindly contribute especially those who is currently owning any of the below model and wish they can make another purchase choice.These prices are from Singapore Luthermusic as they publish price (Casio PX-780 I simply takes US Price and multiply by same factor for PX-350). All model are below SGD$ 2,000. Plays only pop music and New Age Music only. Price taken as at 02March2013.

Most important is Grand Piano Sound. Extra voices and styles (ryhthm) are a plus fun if it only adds a little more,

Digital Piano Price
================= =======================
Casio PX-350 SGD$ 1,440
Casio AP-250 SGD$ 1,440
Casio PX-780 SGD$ 1,700 (USD$ 1,300)
Casio PX-850 SGD$ 1,790
Roland FP-120 SGD$ 1,799
Yamaha YDP-162 SGD$ 1,690
Yamaha YDP-V240 SGD$ 1,980
Yamaha YDP-S51 SGD$ 2,100 (sure can convince to sell me at SGD$ 2,000)

PS: YDP-V240 price has drop a lot (use to cost SGD$ 2,600) suspect will be replace by new model very soon . The YDP-V240 and the PX-350 has a lot of voices and styles.

Since no feedback from softies I go and test it myself. Casio Piano are nowhere near those rave review on AzPiano. Actually no need so call "Trained Ear" just normal ear will be able to hear the difference. FP-120 is OK but I am not use to the GrandPiano. THere is no YDP-V240 or the YDP-S51. Roland H series is out of my budget. Yamaha P105 is actually very good for the price at SGD$ 1,150 almost go for it ( has additonal voices and few rhythm). P105 easily blows Casio away (instead of the otherway round as frequently trumpeted in AZPianoNews) if you only compare GrandPiano Voices. The new YDP-162 certainly sounds richer (but only has one voice - Grand PIano) and feels slightly better than the P105. So at SGD$ 1.7K this is the best Piano I could buy. If I have lesser money I will go for P105.
Final conclusion: I bought the YDP-162

Since no feedback from softies I go and test it myself. Casio Piano are nowhere near those rave review on AzPiano. Actually no need so call "Trained Ear" just normal ear will be able to hear the difference. FP-120 is OK but I am not use to the GrandPiano. THere is no YDP-V240 or the YDP-S51. Roland H series is out of my budget. Yamaha P105 is actually very good for the price at SGD$ 1,150 almost go for it ( has additonal voices and few rhythm). P105 easily blows Casio away (instead of the otherway round as frequently trumpeted in AZPianoNews) if you only compare GrandPiano Voices. The new YDP-162 certainly sounds richer (but only has one voice - Grand PIano) and feels slightly better than the P105. So at SGD$ 1.7K this is the best Piano I could buy. If I have lesser money I will go for P105.
Final conclusion: I bought the YDP-162

cool information helped me, thanks!

Hi all

Please kindly contribute especially those who is currently owning any of the below model and wish they can make another purchase choice.These prices are from Singapore Luthermusic as they publish price (Casio PX-780 I simply takes US Price and multiply by same factor for PX-350). All model are below SGD$ 2,000. Plays only pop music and New Age Music only. Price taken as at 02March2013.

Most important is Grand Piano Sound. Extra voices and styles (ryhthm) are a plus fun if it only adds a little more,

Digital Piano Price
================= =======================
Casio PX-350 SGD$ 1,440
Casio AP-250 SGD$ 1,440
Casio PX-780 SGD$ 1,700 (USD$ 1,300)
Casio PX-850 SGD$ 1,790
Roland FP-120 SGD$ 1,799
Yamaha YDP-162 SGD$ 1,690
Yamaha YDP-V240 SGD$ 1,980
Yamaha YDP-S51 SGD$ 2,100 (sure can convince to sell me at SGD$ 2,000)

PS: YDP-V240 price has drop a lot (use to cost SGD$ 2,600) suspect will be replace by new model very soon . The YDP-V240 and the PX-350 has a lot of voices and styles.

Are u looking for a new DP or a good DP? I would never have considered any of them if I was serious enough to own a good DP but on a limited budget. I'm not saying this because I'm currently selling a CLP280.

Seriously, remember - The combination of these qualities make up a good digital piano...good key touch...realistic piano sample...powerful amplification system!

I did a lot of research online and make a purchase decision base on actual comparison of DP at shops that sells them side-by-side. For a limited budget of below SGD$ 2K, the YDP-162 at SGD$ 1.7K is a good buy. It has weighted key and good rich GrandPiano sound (they are other voices built in which I dont use) .I already own it now and very happy with it. In any case most of time practice with Headphone (the one given by the shop is very much better than the pathetic Yamaha Headphone) and headphone also sounds much better than the PIano Built in Speaker.

The CLP-280 is a different cateory, if I am not wrong it cost more than SGD$ 5,000 so it is not fair to compare against this category.. The newer CLP-480 now sells at SGD$ 6,000 so only for those willing to pay.

Remember the main criteria here is price below SGD$ 2K budget for beginner Digital Piano, not the best digital piano. For DP, there is always another better that cost a little more and so on, and if one gets carries away it will end up with a SGD$ 4Kto SGD$ 6K DP model.

- - - Updated - - -

I did a lot of research online and make a purchase decision base on actual comparison of DP at shops that sells them side-by-side. For a limited budget of below SGD$ 2K, the YDP-162 at SGD$ 1.7K is a good buy. It has weighted key and good rich GrandPiano sound (they are other voices built in which I dont use) .I already own it now and very happy with it. In any case most of time practice with Headphone (the one given by the shop is very much better than the pathetic Yamaha Headphone) and headphone also sounds much better than the PIano Built in Speaker.

The CLP-280 is a different cateory, if I am not wrong it cost more than SGD$ 5,000 so it is not fair to compare against this category.. The newer CLP-480 now sells at SGD$ 6,000 so only for those willing to pay.

Remember the main criteria here is price below SGD$ 2K budget for beginner Digital Piano, not the best digital piano. For DP, there is always another better that cost a little more and so on, and if one gets carries away it will end up with a SGD$ 4Kto SGD$ 6K DP model.

I know what u r trying to explain, but I think u didn't understand my initial question to u.

For $2k or less, u'd be able to get a better DP than those in ur list. And it is not surprising to find one in gd condition and w/ GH3 effect!

Btw, I'm selling my very well maintained clp280 at only $2k...and yes, it cost me more than $6k! Anyway, u'v gotten one. I'm not trying to be sarcastic here, but u should he done a bit more homework.

All the best in ur music journey :)

Last edited:
Hi
can contribute which other new Piano would be good buy at price below SGD$ 2K? The above DP models are those I could only see at showroom at that time. Benefit those and myself should I upgrade in 2 years time.

I did ask here but no one came up with suggestion so I could only buy from shop that has the actual piano that I can compare by hearing test. I did search around but there is not much choice locally in Singapore.

For second hand DP I think more choice you are right can easily get good buy if one is willing to wait (for example I waited for a used DGX640 which has just discontinue by Yamaha but could not get a good buy) after waited for 1 month, so I just go out and buy a new DP.

The latest CLP is now the 400 series, I had wanted to consider CLP430 (SGD$ 2.1K) but there is none in showroom and I do not buy base on paper specs or Youtube review.

It is OK I never doubt your sincerely for review, just surprise that I had missed better new DP under SGD$ 2K as I search for some 2 months before making decision. In singapore only DP I can find in showroom are Yamaha, Casio, Roland, Korg, Kawai which are the more popular brand.

You can try both at Luthermusic or Play-By-Ear as they bought carries these models in store. . In USA the price of the PX-850 is actually USD$ 300 cheaper (about SGD$ 400 cheaper at today exchange rate) Vs the YDP-162 here in Singapore PX-850 is same price as YDP-162. Personally I like YDP-162 better. Do try the CLP-430 (SGD$ 2100) it hasn't arrive yet when I was there so I did not try it

i looking around for a DP too...i comparing casio px850...or is ydp162 better?

If u have read my posts, I can't emphasize enough that a good DP should have a combination of these qualities...good key touch...realistic piano sample...powerful amplification system!

For $2k, u can get something better than your two choices, just that it'll likely be found in the used market. I've a CLP280 for sale at $2k if u r interested.

If u r keen on the CLP430, it's a good entry but u can 'modify' to add an additional speakers to boost the amplification later on.

Good luck :)

Here is another one to add to the list;
1) Cristofori CDP-8 (SGD$ 1,750) it has many voices and auto accopaniement rhythm. The key is really good and piano sound is also surprising good. I would says the key and sound better than the casio AP450 beside it. Cristofori also now distribute entire Casio and Kurzewil range of DP. I would have bought this if I have come across it while I was looking for DP.

Back