Chorus and Compressor/sustainers for Noobies

xynkro

What makes a good chorus pedal.

Any recommendations on the market that are affordable?

Difference between the CE-3 CE-5 and CH-1
what about electro-harmonix small clone chorus?

whats a compressor sustainer for?

EHX Small clone tonnes better than the BOSS choruses. Though I like boss pedals, for chorus, EHX is the way to go.

The Compresion Sustainer question:
From BOSS Area, CS-1:
"reduces the output of sounds over a set threshold relative to the strength of the input signal, making levels consistent and improving sustain."

do we use compressor/sustainers for solos? does it give a slight volume boost, a sustain and evens out the notes? Hows a MXR Dynacomp compared to a CS-1

i dont really like to, for me i lose dynamics which i love so much. personally, its straight forward, delay and drive. should there be a need, phase or chorus

You can up the "Level" in the CS-1 for a volume boost if you want. I like it with delay, as it gives a very full sound (not sure how to explain). Combine with distortion and the distortion will shine. Never tried the DynaComp, but I've heard good things about it. The CS-1 was discontinued way back in the 80s, and the only current Boss CS is the CS-3, which I heard, is not as good as the older compression sustainers. Try both the DynaComp and CS-3 and get the one you like

a good chorus unit would not interfere with your guitar tone too much, it's a transparency factor in consideration. IMO the chorus is better off with cleans/ slightly driven tone.

as for compression- it is more useful for recording/ playing real loud for guitars. what it does fundementally is to perk up weak frequency signals & truncate excessive ones to produce a more regular response, hence its 'sustain' effect. in this light, the bass would benefit more from compression thanguitars but having it in our signal chain would certainly beef up the output.

do refer to the review database for the BARBER Tone Press compression review, which IMO is one of the better units out there 8)

xynkro - set your CH1 chorus to 10 oclock, 2 oclock, 2oclock and 2 oclock from left to right, see if that works for you.

Oh yes, i remember asking this question 2 months ago and went to read up a bit from the net and try hands on on some pedals and the "Smart Volume Management" (SVM) feture of my sound card (works about the same as a compressor).

A compressor, generally (not only for guitars, but for recording, even vocals etc) narrows the peak levels of sound waves. ie, as what sub has said, it makes waves with low amplitudes larger and waves with large amplitudes a lil smaller. Depending on your level of compression (if its saturated (very high), soft and loud sounds will sound the same, quite dead in fact with little dynamics).

This also applies to stompboxes compressors, they do the same to ur guitar's (in this case) signal. For guitars, our proplem has always been that the tone, from the time of picking, it will start to get softer unlike a million other instruments (esp woodwind, reed, violins etc) where u can sustain or even make volume swells for added dynamics. THUS, by the idea of how a compressor works, it CAN make a guitar sustain longer (most normal compressors does this, do not be decieved that only "compressor/SUTAINER" does it). When u 1st pick, the guitar's signal is the loudest, then it slowly fades and the amplitude gets lower. Compressors would then try to normalise the signal to make it even, thus ur sound does not seem to fade away as much.

How do you compare compressors then? One thing i haven't found out is the diff between "classic" compressors and the "modern" compressors for guitar stompboxes.

Examples:

Classic: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=244&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

Modern: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=244&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

Just a rough guide to these 2 cats. I don' know if its feature wise thats different or the way they affect your tone. People generally say that a good compressor is one which is the most transparent (does not affect the original tone much, just the signal level). These kinds of compressors, well they are not usually mass produced like the CS-3 or those MXR examples up there. The most transparent compressors, from all that i've read before, are bootique ones like robert keeley's custom, analogman's ross, goosonique's citrus, and modded ones like randolf's cs-3... Well, all i know is that, these aren't cheap... That's why i'm stuck with my stock CS-3 :lol:

so technically compressor sustainers are for verses and stuff. But for soloing you need an EQ to give you a boost. What about sustaining notes during solos then?

CE-2 and 3 are analog. CH-1 and CE-5 arent unless you get a early version.
analog choruses are (generally) lusher, warmer, fatter and fuller sounding. with a greater downtuning effect, some analog units might be noiser than digital ones too.

Back