Buying new axe! gimme some guidance :D

htengz

Hello softies! :p

I've been using Epiphone LP special 2 for almost 2 years now.. the nut is worn and im kinda getting tired of the tone and the feel of the neck (the shape of the neck tires my palm)

im looking for a totally different feel of guitar, and im told that strat is the way to go??
as you know, LP have no tremolo/floyd rose bridges..

this is the details of the guitar specs i'm looking for!

maple neck & maple fret board
alder/ash body
have Single coil pickups or is able to coil tap!
have tremolo or floyd rose bridge!
hopefully guitar is white or yellow! :p

i play a bit of metal, more rock and alternatives!
can you guys give me some recommendations? (brand/model)

if not too troublesome, can tell me where can get good deal of that axe too :p

thanks in advance! :D

Oh shucks! Rearding my budget, it's plus minus 1.5k..
I'll look up all the suggested guitars! Thanks :D

At 1.5k, wait for a second hand ebony fretboard ESP (not Edwards, not LTD) or a Fender American Standard (this can be had for even less than 1.5k) to turn up on the classifieds. If you don't mind rosewood, there's also a nice Uno Warzone on the classifieds now for half your budget. You might want to look into that.

Last edited:
maple neck & maple fret board
alder/ash body
have Single coil pickups or is able to coil tap!
have tremolo or floyd rose bridge!
hopefully guitar is white or yellow!

that pretty much limits the recommendations we can provide down to a pretty narrow selection don't ya think?

.....getting tired of the tone and the feel of the neck.....
don't let the epiphone *shudder*, determine your preferences about les pauls or anything from the Gibson lineup. There is NO comparison to be made with Gibson and Epiphone other than the license to Attempt to make copies.

ps: I said "make", not "craft"

Last edited:
that pretty much limits the recommendations we can provide down to a pretty narrow selection don't ya think?

And how is that a bad thing? At least it narrow downs the possibilities to a few specific guitars that has what he wants, rather than giving him a ton of various guitars that would make his selection more troublesome. Better to be specific to what you want than be finicky about it.

Last edited:
hahaha! thanks! yes i do need a narrow selection :) i know epiphone and gibsons are really far apart in terms of quality. but i wish to experiment with tremolo and single coil pickups. :D as you can see in the specs, those are some things that cannot be found in LP, or gibson line guitars. I'm looking for a different feel :)

Fender American Standard gets my vote. it has everything you need. Don't spend too much on a guitar with a floating bridge, you might not like maintaining one. might.

And how is that a bad thing? At least it narrow downs the possibilities to a few specific guitars that has what he wants, rather than giving him a ton of various guitars that would make his selection more troublesome. Better to be specific to what you want than be finicky about it.

what I meant was that he's more or less decided with the list he's provided, which in turn makes this post redundant?
sure there could be some debate, but not much to throw around

my vibe would be somewhere in between modern and classic. leaning more to classic :)
right now im thinking of either, American Standard Strat or American Special Strat. i dont know what is the difference..

^^^^^^^^^^^
I tried a American Special Tele, and American Standard Tele.
There's a difference to me.
But I didn't want to spend the extra for the Standard so i got the special.
But honestly there's a difference.

I tried the American Standard Strat also,
but maybe I got a bad set, it kinda doesn't live up to it's name.
But MAYBE I was unlucky.

Last edited:
well, the American Special Stratocaster only comes in Alder but with jumbo frets and Texas specials and a Vintage Style Synchronized Tremolo :)
this would be my pick, but the standards come with either ash or alder and medium frets :]

also the American Specials are a 'filler' series in terms of price between the Americans and Mexican models.

Last edited:
Swing Guitars makes some strat-style guitars, you might wanna check them out. Very bang for buck. Check out the Swing Prism. It's got a humbucker at the bridge, but it has a lot more than just coil-tap. Check it out at Standard Value's website. :)

Thanks! i'll check them out. :D

The American Special Strat i tried at swee lee didn't have very hot pick-ups.. maybe i was unlucky too? :S

@eugenesmasher thanks for recommendation! but i was kinda thinking of getting a better known brand cuz i know i wont be getting another guitar anytime soon after picking my new one now.. so i wanna play on the safer side. sure there will be alot of reviews saying that there Swing Guitars, or any other are underated and fenders are over rated.. but i guess i dont have the gut to try YET because of the experience i had from my first guitar. :(

Back