Andrew Chen and the Mosaic Music Festival

christoh

IT WAS brought to my attention this afternoon that the artiste line-up for next year’s Mosaic Music Festival is in. Well, kind of. They did say “more shows to be announced” at the end of the flyer, so I’m going with “at least 90 per cent of the shows are locked in”.

addy-IMG_11541-182x300.jpg

Addy Rasidi aka Addy Cradle, one of Singapore’s top guitarists, will feature on Roots Revival night

And this year’s line-up seems to be a great mix of who’s who and “sorry, who?” Seriously, from Christian McBride to Signal To Noise to Sheila de Niro (no relation to Robert… I think) to Kora. So many choices in one night, just who can you watch?

Personally, my faves to catch are The Go! Team, Dinosaur Jr and Kings Of Convenience from the international contingent, and The Karl Maka Project, Addy Rasidi and Fatskunks from Team Singapore.

But one show I think you all should catch isl Andrew Chen’s first big gig back on these shores. I had the opportunity to perform with a couple of years ago as part of the band I was in called Melt. Back then, when I first met him I thought he was this young kid who just wanted to jam (well, he was just 17, you know what I mean?)

me-and-andrew-chen-300x225.jpg

Andrew Chen (right) jamming with Melt andlove some old fart in the background

Then I heard his music and realised what an old soul trapped in a young body he is. No, this is not some sci-fi story you’ll find in periodicals like Analog: Science Fiction And Fact, but this guy knows his stuff. Even more so than some of the more established musicians in this country.

He’s got a great groove, can play guitar better than I can, and heck, he even knows how to write those musical towgay notes. He’s currently studying in Australia, which is probably why he’s listed under the “Australia” contingent. love

cd-andrew-chen-300x288.jpg

Anyway, he recently released his debut album, You Just Might, a DIY effort that’s a lot more palatable than some other debuts I’ve had the opportunity to review. And he’ll be here to showcase his material. Definitely someonle to watch for (and I’m predicting bigger and better things once he graduates and gets into this full-time).

Check out his stuff on http://andrewchenmusic.com

The Mosaic Music Festival happens from Mar 12 to 21 at The Esplanade. Find out moreloveat www.mosaicmusicfestival.com

More...

Back